Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Year 2, Day 57: Tuesdays with Morrie and Heritage Flakes


Having run out of Kashi Go Lean! cereal, I sashay over to Whole Foods to get another box. As always, I am trying to 1) try every cereal in the known world and 2) vary my diet, as I know it is a cornerstone of successful staying on a diet. It is very easy for me to fall into a rut; I could easily wear the same outfit every day and eat the same thing every day. I hope people don't think that means I lack imagination; it's just that I'd rather devote my creative senses to the day's pursuits, not the requirements of clothing myself and feeding myself. I realize many people can do both, but I'm not one of them. I have to work hard to vary my routine and make it work. I spied a bag of "Heritage Ancient Grains." Despite the lousy name, I am taken with their 'eco packs' which is a fancy word for 'no box.' I noted a few years ago that General Mills started selling boxless-bags of breakfast cereals that were copies of more well-known cereals like cocoa puffs, only theirs would be called 'chocolate puffs.'

Breakfast
1 cup Heritage Flakes
1 small banana
grape nuts
Tea

Snack
1 Medium Dunkin Donuts (half decaf)
6 oz. Plain Yogurt
3 tablespoons Peanut Butter

Lunch: Russo's ($5.41)
Red leaf, red onion, red peppers
chick peas, chickens, feta cheese
broccoli, olives

Dinner
Cheeseburgers
Emily's Stir-Fry Cabbage
Peppadews
Bok Choy

Anyway, the label on these massive bags of multi-grain flakes claim that they are made from "heritage grains such as spelt, quinoa and kamut." Since I couldn't recognize any of those things as food sources, I was immediately convinced that I had to buy the bag, though I had call one of the Whole Foods employees to help me load it into the cart. I've got to tell you, they are FANTASTIC. They have less sugar (4g vs. 6g) then Kashi Go Lean and less carbs (23g vs 30g) too. They had a sweet taste and even Emily liked it. Ruby liked it when Emily was eating it dry, but later when I offered it to her she demurred. So I'm giving a big recommendation to these flakes, though if you have a small car, you might want to start with the box.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm impressed with the Heritage Grains....and they taste good too. Great. I'll stick with my Oat Bran O's because I am very much a creature of habit as are my cats. Love, MOM