Monday, April 24, 2006

Year 2, Day 55: "Step Away from the Muffins, Sir"

Today was the grand reopening of the JCC fitness center. As a remorseful baked goods-consuming sinner, I entered expecting to see every available machine covered by some elderly semite person wearing a flannel oxford and carrying a record player. Fortunately, I got there early and this was not the case. I suppose Jews are afraid of gym grand openings? Since I thought all the elliptical machines were taken, I signed up for mine and went down to the fitness center and got a tour of all the brand spanking new machines they had. I explained that I wanted six-pack abs (though not in those terms) and a nice lady named Rachel (who had a cold) took me through some of the devices that could help me tone my 'core.' I must say that after trying a few 'reps' on these machines that I realized that my 'core' is not very strong. It's very disempowering to know that you have weak core. She suggested I come two to three times a week. I surmised she was a fitness zealot. She filled out a form with my name on it, and either as a provocative measure or simply out of an understanding of who I am she said she would 'file it in the back.' I did four miles on the elliptical in about 40 minutes, then a half mile on the track. During my 'run' I realized that they had added three more elliptical machines. When I was finished, I went home to bake more blueberry muffins.

Breakfast
2 Eggs
4 Strips Turkey Bacon
3 oz. Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Lunch
Chicken Cutlets a la Robert
Big Salad (Celery, Lettuce, Carrots, Parmesan)
1. oz Cracker Barrel Cheese
1/4 cup Almonds/Cashews

Etc.
1.5 Blueberry Muffins
6 oz. Plain Yogurt
3 Tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut Butter

Dinner
Rainbow Trout/ Pork Cutlets
Broccoli

After having the blueberry muffins of yesterday, I realized two things were wrong: there wasn't enough butter and there wasn't enough sugar. I got a new recipe which called for more of both, and substituted yogurt for milk and added lemon zest. I could tell from the batter that it was going to work out much better. After they came out Ruby and I sampled them. Ruby liked them 'except for the blueberry part.' I brought the rest of them into work. Next weekend I'm going to try chocolate chips, unless I can get some therapy.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Stick with the blueberries! What is this muffin craze? I always preferred scones myself. I though Ruby liked blueberries. Love, MOM