Thursday, April 20, 2006

Year 2, Day 51: More Salad

Cream cheese? Why have I been avoiding cream cheese? Sure, it's high in fat, but VERY low in carbs. If you buy Zausner's (which I highly recommend- better even then TempTee) there's no junk in it. Just cream and cheese. Well you know what I mean. I made the mistake of buying low-fat cream cheese when I was home. It was AWFUL. Don't ever do that. If you're going to have cream cheese, just have it. Save the fat somewhere else, or skip something else (if you can).

Breakfast
75% of 1 Matzoh Board with Cream Cheese and a little Smoked Salmon
50% of 1 Matzoh Board with Cream Cheese and Rhubarb Raspberry Jam
Tea

Snack
Medium Black Dunkin Donuts Coffee (half decaf)
25 Pistachios
6 oz. plain yogurt
3 tablespoons peanut butter

Lunch: Russo's Salad ($5.41)
Red Leaf, Red Onion, Red Peppers
Chick Peas, Olives, Chicken
Feta, Celery, Broccoli

Dinner
Emily's Ground Chicken Crumble (with sprouts & peppers)
Boston Leaf Lettuce
Leeks

After
a few bites of cantaloupe

I was discussing with a coworker today about my feelings about Russo's and salad. That is the feeling that I must 'de-fetishize' my lunch. Any one who worked with me during the past decade (and you know who you are) knows that I took lunch VERY SERIOUSLY. Really, I was aghast when I joined a company who had only ventured out to one (and not very good) sub shop. I insisted we visit EVERY SINGLE PLACE in walking and driving distance, collect menus and determine what our rotation would be. I did that at pretty much every place I ever worked. When I joined Domania in 1999, I met someone who was just like me, and together we became the unofficial food service directors of the company. Then we moved from Cambridge to Brighton and we had to start all over again. It got to a point where the discussion of lunch and where it should be from was a central operating point of my day, and that continued for years until I started the South Beach diet, came to my senses and lost 40 lbs. So now, I try to take my father in law's tact, that lunch is simply "a biological requirement." Of course I'll never quite be that unattached to lunch, but it's a good goal to have.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm partial to breakfast myself. But that's what makes ballgames as they say. It sounds like you had a lot of fun planning and eating lunch...maybe got you through the arduous perhaps boring part of work. Each to his own defensive style I say. Love, MOM