Saturday, April 08, 2006

Year 2, Day 40: Un Dia Afterwards

Hung over from going to bed at 3AM (when will I break that habit), but up with Ruby at about 8AM. It's hard to think about fitness and proper living when your head feels like a concrete block. Lots of strong Emily coffee and I start think I am going to make it. Emily graciously allows me to nap later in the day. I dream that a giant chicken is chasing me and I attempt to throw my cat, hooper, to safety. Unfortunately, my throw is bad and the cat lands in the jaws of the giant chicken, who swallows him. I come back into the house and say "He ate him" and start crying hysterically. Then I woke up.

Breakfast
1 cup Kashi Go Lean!
1/4 cup Grape Nuts
1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
1 small banana
Coffee with USM
1 small piece french toast

Lunch
Salad with Tuna, Feta, Red Cabbage
2 bites challah with cream cheese


Snacks
Ugli Fruit
1/4 Cashew and Almonds
4 Long Sips of a Smoothie

Dinner
93% Sirloin Burger
Pickles
Peppadews
Broccoli with Cheese

Emily said to me last week "You've really changed the way you make food decisions." And she was right. It was an important and thoughtful comment which I appreciated and continue to ruminate on. I do think differently about what I eat. It's like being fiscally responsible (OK, I'm not there yet). You've got a budget, and you can spend it however you like. But in my old life, I just saw what I wanted and got it. I didn't think about the budget; there was no budget. I was simply racking up the credit card debt; enjoying it now, even boasting about enjoying it now, and knowing that I would have to pay for it later. Well just like on the fiscal side, you have kids or you just get older, and you realize that you can't risk it, you're not that young anymore. Not everyone gets a chance to live through the life-changing heart attack.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yes, responsibilty is hard...food .money and everything else. That was a thoughtul comment by Emily and quite a compliment. Love, MOM