Friday, April 14, 2006

Year 2, Day 45 Second Night of Passover: A Disaster

It's a cliche that people talk about the 'perfect storm.' For starters, it was an abysmal film. Aside from that, it refers to when a number of elements come together to create a situation that was otherwise unthinkable. A combination of stress, the holiday, and availability of chocolate sought to break me today and came perilously close; I may not have been broken, but I was bowed.

Breakfast
2 Eggs Over Easy
Three Strips Jennie O
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Tennis Snack
Apricot & Yogurt Bar

Lunch
Brisket
Salad with Feta, Almonds & Cashews
Pineapple
Chocolate Bunny

Dinner
Cheese, Matzoh and Chopped Liver
Gefilte Fish
Soup
1 Hard Boiled Egg
Chicken Breast
Brisket
Cole Slaw
Broccoli

Dessert
1 Chocolate Coconut Macaroon
1 bite sponge cake
6 bites of chocolate matzoh (some had toffee and carmel)

As I write this I feel absolutely terrible. Both psychologically and physically. There's a feeling of helplessness you have and a feeling of falling. Today, we played about two hours of tennis, which helped make up for last night's tawdry shameful eat-fest. I thought maybe I could keep it together, but my brother-in-law got Ruby a chocolate Winnie-the-Pooh and we all sat around eating it. That was the top of the ski-hill. Then we went to the next seder, and it was a bit stressful. There was stress about the food and who was doing what; there was bad traffic; there was some unprocessed feelings about the last-minute absence of the Seder Leader, and plus there were six kids 12 to 1.6 months and they were like herding cats. My cousin's wife brought a sinful array of her homemade desserts in addition to the desserts my brother brought (including the Bruce's Macaroon that leaves me weak and knocks me off my feet). Though I've said it before I'll say it again, I never crave sweets (though I enjoy wistfully strolling down memory lane when writing) but if I eat something sugary, it is hard to limit it to just one bite. I think that's why I don't generally seek out some kind of low-fat dessert; I don't need it; I'd rather do without it. Let me focus on my salty side and not my sweet side. At the bottom of the ski-hill, my skis are broken and I have to call the paramedics.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I know how you feel. Passover is one of two times of the whole year when I eat chocolate...that would be Bruce's chocolate dipped macaroons...thank goodness they only make them once a year...and let caution go to the winds. But for what it's worth Noah likes the plain chocolate macaroon cookies. So David got him a box of about six to take home. I bought six chocolate macacoons to have one a day if I could watch my other eating. But of course, Noah took the wrong box home....some kind of moral in that. Anyway, tomorrow is another day. I did hear that Nancy's desserts were amazing. Love, MOM