Friday, April 14, 2006

Year 2, Day 46: Good Friday


Today, in our third day of non-stop traveling, we meant to go see my Mom. As Passover prohibits the eating of bread and things risen, we would eschew talk of Balthazar in favor of Bruce's macaroons, which are the world's best, hands down. As is typical in New York, we ran into a lot of traffic getting there, and waited in line with several loud, rude, pushy people. While it takes a little while to get reacquainted, I do feel at home in New York. Why isn't every one this way? On the train going to Manhattan I sat next to an Irish Dad and his son. They were going to a Mets game. This surprised me, since it was Good Friday AND it was raining. But nothing was going to deter them.

Breakfast
2 Eggs Over Easy
3 Strips Jennie O Turkey Bacon
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1/2 Matzoh board
Tea

Lunch
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
1 Chocolate Macaroon
1 Matzoh Board with Butter

Snack
3 oz. Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheese
1 Matzoh board

Dinner: Yasuda, NYC
Flash-Fried Striped Bass (Appetizer)
Assorted Sashimi (Including, but not limited to: Artic Char, Mackerel, Yellow Tail, Toro)
Assorted Sushi (Anogo, Unagi, Oyster, Sea Scallop)
Anogo Maki
Sake
Pear, Papaya and Honeydew

In perhaps a curious bad bit of planning, my closest friend and I agreed to have dinner at a Sushi restaurant for his birthday (he had taken me to the same restaurant for my birthday). We had had to reschedule a few times, and it's so rare that I am in NYC with a free night, so we decided to do it. For him it was good Friday (so it was good that there was no steak sushi) but for me, the rice and rice wine were strictly off limits. However, I decided that since I had avoided white rice all year it was OK just this once. We ate a small child's weight in fish, and it was heavenly. I can neither identify all the fish we ate, or tell you the amount of the bill. But you only turn 40 once (I hope).

2 comments:

Don in CA said...

Robert, when am I going to get the lowdown on Peppadews? Hag Sameach! d/

Mom said...

So Suchi is not on the regular Passover menu? Glad you had a treat with Joe. It's hard to imagine a restaurant with better suchi thatn Kama but I am entirely willing to be convinced. I hope this Passover excursion hasn't been to demoralizing to your eating schedule. It's been rough on mine. Love, MOM