Monday, April 10, 2006

Year 2, Day 42: "Enjoy Your Dinner"

The other day at Blockbuster (which I would avoid if I could—woe is the independent video store) I was checking out the offerings for those, like me, unfortunate enough to be online. I must say, I was shocked, shocked at what was going on there. There was candy in two categories: the more known candies, such as Reeses, KitKat and Hershey's bars in a little cubby, and candies shaped like rockets, shooting devices and the like, on a display rack. The chocolates were thrown together as misshapen and disheveled and uncared for as any display for the public I'd ever witnessed. Once-crisp wrappers were wrinkled liked balled up wrapping paper after Christmas. Strangely, the candies were all 'unusual.' There was a white chocolate Hershey's Bar, a Mango-Lime Almond Joy and a special Double-Dark Hershey Bar. The rocket candies really floored me. My parents worried about artificial flavors and colors, in respect to how they were unnecessarily added to foods and things made for kids. But these things at Blockbuster literally contained no food or nutritional value whatsoever. Who would let their kids have this (please do not print this for me to re-read in three years). Those candies had neither the antioxidants of chocolate or the white grape juice of a frookwich. Even the popcorn they sold had partially hydrogenated oil in it, and more than half of its calories from fat. That place, nutritionally, and others, is bad news.


Breakfast
1 cup Kashi Go Lean!
1/4 cup Grape Nuts
1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
1 small banana

Snack
12 oz coffee (half decaf)
6 oz. plain yogurt
3 tablespoons super chunky peanut butter

Lunch: Russo's Salad ($4.78)
Red Leaf, Red Onion, Red Peppers
Chick Peas, Chicken
Feta, Broccoli

Dinner:
Omelet with Ham, Onion and Swiss
4 Slices Turkey Bacon
Peppadews
1 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain Bread
1 Pizza Crust

Emily did not feel like cooking tonight so I agreed to pick up a pizza for the kids. As I picked up the pizza from Pappa Gino's and began to leave the young lady said "Enjoy your dinner." I realize that it's not very funny in print, but I thought it was kind of ridiculous that she thought that I ordered a small kids' cheese pizza for dinner. Amazingly, Ruby did not want to eat the pizza-bread, only the cheese (like father, like daughter). Faced with a pile of discarded pizza crusts, I had one. And it was GREAT.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You really do have a new way of looking at things edible and otherwise. I suppose a pizza crust must go down from time to time. It's worth it. Today I thought I was defrosting a piece of chicken for dinner. Just before putting it in the toaster oven to warm I opened it up the tinfoil covered object. Did I get a chuckle. It was a piece of Balthazar's coconut custard cake. When your unconscious speaks...one must answer. Love, MOM