Monday, April 17, 2006

Year 2, Day 49: Patriots Day

People outside Massachusetts know that we have the Boston Marathon, but many people don't know that it is an official (see "State-level") day off. That is, the Government doesn't come to work, and lots of people who live on the marathon route either call in sick or take the day off. This is bad because it means no mail and you can't go to the RMV, but the good side is that taxes aren't due until tomorrow, making Massachusetts just that more liberal. I used to regularly take the day off not only because the marathon made the commute more difficult, but it was really fun when you live on the route (as I did for 11 years) to just walk out, take in the marathon for a little while, then return home. I always wondered why people from far away came to watch, when they have no discernible connection with the marathon. I guess it's just a desire to be part of the action, drink publicly, or urinate in an alley. I watched two of my neighbors get their kids packed up in the car and motor off to find a good 'spot' to watch the marathon. Yecch.

Breakfast
Two Eggs, Over Easy (but one broken)
3 Strips jennieo
2.5 Oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Snack
Coffee with USM
1 Matzoh Board with Cream Cheese and Rhubarb Jelly
Pistachios

Lunch
Cabbage-Romaine Salad with Feta
Whole Wheat Bread Crumb Chicken

Dinner
Turkey a la Emily
with Emily's Leeks
Peppadews

In celebration of Patriots Day, I would have liked to go the gym, or at the very least, to have eaten my own weight in pasta the night before. With the JCC closed, and me watching everything, I had to just content myself with the thought that next Sunday I'd be back on the elliptical, and who knows? Maybe eating a bowl of whole-wheat pasta with pesto. It's not very patriotic, but it will have to do.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Happy Patriots Day to you too. Our taxes were'nt due until today either because they get sent to someplace in Mass. So thanks for that. How can anyone run 26 miles? Love, MOM