Sunday, August 27, 2006

Year 2, Day 178 The Sunday Night Blues

The vacation officially, in my view, ends Friday at around 6pm, as that is really when you would be at work. The weekend is just the weekend, but I continued by unending streak of off-the-rails eating today, including a vat of popcorn that was the size of Ruby's head. I did manage to get to the gym today, and do six miles on the elliptical, but at the third mile I really didn't think I was going to make it. I was so grateful to be able to make it to six miles, and again in less than an hour—57 minutes. Since no one else was at the gym, I again took the liberty of changing the TV to the overwhelmingly mediocre remake of "The Planet of the Apes" starring Mark Wahlberg. When you watch it with no sound you do get an idea of how hard the actors are working. As usual, I noted a new thing in the closed captioning: the description of something that is probably superior to the sound. In this case, a notation that said 'sound of metal slicing flesh.'

Breakfast
2 Soft Boiled Eggs
1 Large slice Balthazar Rye
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
5 small bites of French Toast with Maple Syrup
Green Tea

Pregym Snack:
Coffee
1 Handful Almonds/Cashews
1 Stick Beef Jerky

Lunch:
93% Sirloin Burger
Cabbage, Romaine Salad
Pickles

@ The Movies
Large Popcorn (split with Ruby)
4 Reese's Bites

Dinner
Chicken Breast
Broccoli
1 Ear of Corn
Peppadews


One thing I notice after being on the SoBe while is a phenomenon of 'slippage.' It can be easily identified by noticing that pieces of French Toast have started to slip into my mouth. This is generally a bad thing, though on gym today I don't worry about it too much. But you've got to take a long, hard look at the vat of popcorn and the Reese's bites. I mean, the ear of corn would ordinarily put me into an apoplectic fit (if not a glycemic coma). I think there are two things going on simultaneously: one, I am generally relaxing about my state. As I near the two year mark I realize that with hard work, determination, and a lot of guilt (and a forgiving schedule) I'll be able to maintain my weight. The other thing is that at the end of the vacation week, on the day before you have to go back to work, you're lucky if you're not curled up under the coffee table in the fetal position. If a few Reese's bites lets you vent that steam, I say you're better off...as long as you get back to the gym...soon.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well the slippage is a really funny concept alas true. But it is hard to contemplate going back to work...not matter how much you like it. Maybe that's part of the "labor" in Labor Day....Enjoy the last weekend of summer...I'm only working two days next week. I can't let it interfere with my attendance at US Open....Only the weather can do that. It can't get more exciting than the Agassi match last night. Love, MOM