Saturday, August 12, 2006

Year 2, Day 163: Poker

Waking up on poker day, I always think two things. One, I must go for a walk today, and two, how can I save all my calories for dinner? Trying to think hard about what I would eat at dinner is the best way to plan what I will eat for breakfast and lunch. I decide it will probably be deli, a meat-tastic plate of high-sodium with a side of high-sodium pickles and some sugary cole slaw with some sugary peppadews. So, how to avoid fat, protein and sugar? What I really need to do is eat all vegetables all day. Instead, I just try and take it easy. I did go for a fast-walk today with just one other Domania employee, and that was good. Then I skipped the oil on the salad. Have I mentioned that Peter's is the poor man's salad? Iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, carrots? Really, it's bottom-shelf as far as vegetable selection goes, but its quality is good, and I always make them leave off the green peppers.

Breakfast
2 Eggs (eaten after their best sell-by date)
1 slice balthazar multi-grain bread
green tea

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno cheddar
3 sticks beef jerky

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Greek Salad, with Feta and Grilled Chicken

Poker/Dinner:
2 oz popcorn (Boston Lite)
2 Handfuls Almonds/Cashews
My own weight in pistachios
3 roll mops: roast beef, turkey, corned beef
pickles
sour tomatoes
peppadews
Cole slaw
1 UFO Beer

Tonight, uncharacteristically, I had a beer. Naturally, it was a UFO which I have become enamored with since the Pig Roast. I think it may have affected my performance since I started losing almost immediately. It wasn't until after dinner (and theoretically, the absorption of some alcohol) that things started to look up. The moment occurred during a game called "Mexican Sevens with a Sweat" that I discovered online. It's nothing new, just a version of seven-card stud where all the cards are down, but if you flip a seven you have to match the pot. In this particular game, three sevens had been turned, meaning three people had already matched the pot, and I think five out of six players were in. The game had gone on a long time, and there was a substantial pot at risk. It came down to literally, the last card, which as the dealer, fell on my hand. I had to draw a wild card to beat the flush that was on the table. It didn't look good for me. I turned the card. It was a seven! There were screams and I took a moment before I used my arm to sweep up the winnings, carefully avoiding eye contact with flush-holder who I had just vanquished. From that point, I couldn't lose and walked away the big winner. Did I mention as a card game we finished the quart of almonds and cashews AND the bag of pistachios? We are nutsed out at this game I tell you. Nutsed out.

1 comment:

Mom said...

From the CAPE: So I am in BB withdrawal now...and it's rough going. Everything here seems to be fried rendering the amazing seafood less than Sobe friendly. But as for poker....Noah is really interested and wants to learn all he can. I'm not sure how I feel about this. But we are baked in the sun. LOVE, MOM