Monday, August 07, 2006

Year 2, Day 159: 6 Miles and 60 Minutes

I had originally intended to take Monday off from work because I thought I'd be going to New York with Emily after the pig roast. We decided it wasn't necessary and probably not a very good idea at that. A few work things made it necessary for me to go in, but no one wants to 'give back' a day they took off, so I decided to go in late and leave early. By going in late, I knew I could get to the gym, and I had hoped it would be my second trip in two days. Because the gym was closed when I got there yesterday, it would be first trip in quite a while. With my new Video iPod (thanks Mom) I got on the elliptical and did 6 miles (a new record) in 60 minutes. Then I thought: man, I could do this for another hour if only someone would get me some more water. I thought about getting a machine for home, but I can count the individual hours that I have to myself, and they are few. That doesn't mean I don't get them, but most of them come at night, when I find that working out is not ideal.

Breakfast
2 slices Balthazar bread
4 slices Ham
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Green Tea

Snack
1 small Banana
1 oz. Soy Crispettes (Cheddar)
Diet Coke

Lunch
Cabbage, Romaine, Red Pepper, Peppadew, Celery Salad with Chicken and Balsamic Vinegar

Dinner
93% Sirloin Burger
Broccoli
Peppadews
Pickles

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal this week about how fat actually aids you in getting the right amount of nutrition. Because of their subscription policy, and the draconian security surrounding my use of Lexis-Nexis at work, I can not share the article with you, but to sum it up, it was 'don't skip ALL fat from your diet, because it's counterproductive if you're trying to lose weight and eat well.' The South Beach diet book describes how a sour cream can actually make the potato you're eating better for you by 1) slowing down the absorption of starch, and 2) by aiding you in absorbing what nutrients there are. The Wall Street Journal article used avocados in their study, and showed how it helped in the absorption of nutrients from the salsa, like lycopene. So don't skip the fat (entirely) and most of all, don't eat potatoes.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi. Great work on the elliptical! I'm impressed. The husband of someone I know went on a very strict low fat diet post cardiac bypass surgery. So stringent was this diet that he became impotent....no fat to build sex hormones was our theory. It worked. He added some fat to his diet and voila! Hope you are enjoying the iPod. I plan to take my new earphones and listen on my drive up to the Cape. Looking forward to seeing all. Love, MOM