Friday, August 18, 2006

Year 2, Day 170: Workout Hooky, Breakfast Cookie

For various reasons I decided I needed to work out in the morning, and go into work late. Unfortunately, I had a meeting that I called at 11:30am that involved people from both coasts and I could not be late, thus necessitating a shorter-than average workout. I did four and some change miles in about forty minutes before I decided I needed to get out of the gym. I could have done the next 20 minutes easy, but I had the good sense to leave. On the way out, I noticed Ruby was sitting with her group (Ruby camp and my gym are at the same facility). When I got closer I noted it was a 10:30AM picnic meal of entemann's marshmallow cake (http://entenmanns.gwbakeries.com/product.cfm/upc/7203000074) and M&Ms. I went over to say "hi" to her and she confided to me that she was very thirsty. I gave her my poland spring water and told her she could keep it, which she did. Later that day there was last-day carnival, at which Emily saw Ruby (her physical therapist also in same facility). She noted that Ruby was eating cotton candy! We determined two things from that day: one, Ruby was not going to camp there next year, and two, Ruby would not be having any dessert that night. We did allow her a bowl of grapes with her bath, though.

Breakfast
1 cup/60 g Kasha Go Lean/Heritage Flakes
Strawberries/Banana
Green Tea

Post Workout Snack
4 Slices of Ham
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken, Feta

Costco & After Snacks:
Assorted Nuts, Almond
Cashews, Almonds, Peanuts
1 Stick Beef Jerky

Dinner
Lil' Burgers
Broccoli
Cauliflower, Emily style
Cabbage Salad (olive oil, salt) and Feta

After being nut-accosted at Costco, I went home wanting a smaller dinner, and that worked out for me because Ruby was still hungry after she finished hers and I gave her one and half of my burgers.

This item caught my eye the other day. All I have to say is "Shame on you Quaker oats. You used to stand for something. Now you're just a sugar factory, relying on cheap marketing ploys to sell your product. Where do you come off selling a "Breakfast Cookie?" There is nothing "Breakfasty" about this cookie. Even if you made it with "whole grain Quaker oats." It's still a cookie. And cookies aren't for breakfast, unless you are using Cookie Crisp as your precedent, and you know how I feel about that." In case you forgot go here: http://sobediet.blogspot.com/2006/03/year-2-day-18-end-of-world-as-we-know.html

To see Quaker's site, go here:
(http://www.quakersnackbars.com/CHW_Products/BreakfastCookies/)

Quaker® Breakfast Cookies
Help yourself to a soft-baked cookie made with whole grain Quaker oats. Plus, there are real pieces of delicious fruit in every bite!

Quaker goodness in every cookie:

Made with Whole Grain Oatmeal • Good Source of Fiber

Try all of our delicious flavors:

Oatmeal Raisin and Apple Cinnamon

I mean come on, they can't even believe this stuff they're selling, now can they?

1 comment:

Mom said...

From Needham: Alas, what is there to believe in. Even SoBe produces a protein bar that has sugar in it....We still need to be ever vigilant about what we eat and exercise. This being an adult and being responsible for ourselves is hard work...and then to be careful with children. But you're doing a great job and I continue to be very impressed. Love, MOM