Friday, August 25, 2006

Year 2, Day 176: Last Day of Vacation at Home

No matter where my vacation is, the highlight of any vacation is going to be a round of tennis. I played Emily today in our first three-setter of the post-children era. I took the first set (6-4), she the second set (4-6) and the last one was a grudge match where I took the early lead 4-0 but I couldn't close it out and she took the set 7-5. Afterwards, I had to set my elbow on ice but at 2 hours, it was the most tennis we have played together sinc the 90s. Tried to do a little better on the food today.

Breakfast
2 slices balthazar bread
2 soft-boiled eggs
1 oz. 50% jalapeno cheddar
green tea
coffee

lunch: blue ribbon bbq
burnt ends
pulled chicken
baked beans
japanese salad

post tennis-snack
1 oz. 50% jalapeno cheddar
3 sticks beef jerky
1 slice balthazar bread with super chunky peanut butter

dinner: skipjacks
3 fried clams
6 french fries
1 shrimp shumai
1 chop-chop salad
50% mahi-mahi fillet

Sometimes you play tennis and there isn't much action. There can be a lot of sweating, but without a lot of movement and cardio. Some games are just a lot of swinging a racket, but this game was a lot of running and jumping and sweating and it felt good. It also feels good when you work hard to come home and eat peanut butter. What followed the snack was a rather unspectacular but quite large dinner where I was irresistibly drawn to cold fried clams and french fries. Maybe to most they wouldn't be good, but to someone who hasn't eaten them in quite a while they were deeeeelicious.

Lastly, I forgot to include a conversation I overheard at Storyland, about five minutes after Ruby and I got there. A woman said to her daughter: "Now we're going to be careful about putting our hands in our mouths today, right? Because we are going to touch a lot of things that a lot of people have touched." Without missing a beat, she turned to her companion and said "I brought the Purell."

1 comment:

Mom said...

Home: Well I guess you can't be too careful these days...it's so hard to avoid touching people. I suppose the take home message about eating is that it feels good to be back on schedule even though vacations are great! Love, MOM

P.S. I was pleased to see Serena play today looking like her old self....and she got into the tournament with a wild card!