Thursday, August 24, 2006

Year 2, Day 175: Fifth Day of Vacation, Trip Home

I've written a lot about trips home, and how they often require good food planning that doesn't happen. Though I had a breakfast at about 8am, I had thought we would have lunch in town before we got on the road. For one reason or another, it was not to be and we skipped a BBQ road house restaurant that I desperately wanted to stop at but with two kids and two hours to go I understood that it didn't make sense. After about 45 minutes of driving I did get hungry but because I thought we would have stopped for lunch I really only packed 'kid' food, so I ate a couple of handfuls of yesterday's "kettle corn." I think I got it at Zeb's, (www.zebs.com) which despite being in New Hampshire, was the greatest place ever. Sitting on the 'jumper' seat munching on kettle corn made me so queasy that I thought I would never again have an appetite. That is until we got home and got blue ribbon barbecue for our late (2:30) lunch.

Breakfast
Two soft boiled eggs
1 slice Balthazar multi-grain
1.5 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Green Tea

On the Road Snack
~1 oz. Kettle Corn

Lunch: Blue Ribbon BBQ
2 Ribs
Burnt Ends, Pulled Chicken
Baked Beans
"Big Green Salad"
1/8th of a piece of corn bread

Dinner: Sushi
Sashimi Combo
Edamame
Green Salad
Ass't Sushi (Spicy Yellowtail, Crispy Salmon)

Dessert:
40% of a nearly Decarmelized apple

We were glad to be home, and somehow I convinced everyone to let me go to the gym, which I did, and did six miles in 56 minutes, which I made me feel great because I was literally carrying the physic and physical weight of four days of irresponsible eating, but especially last night's dinner. When I got home we had a late dinner of sushi, and though I usually abstain from the rice, I did have a few pieces of regular sushi. It probably comes from a long standing feeling I have about not 'wasting' food, though in all my SoBe time except for the past week I have learned to ignore that particular urge of mine. For dessert, I thought it would be a neat treat to get a carmel apple for Ruby, which I picked up the previous day at a store next to one of the outlet stores. The carmel sort of melted on the paper, but we split it anyway, for some reason, we were cracking up about how melted the carmel was because I kept trying to keep it on the apple by wiping it, painterly, with a knife back onto the apple. I need to eat a caramelized apple like a whole in my head, but I was on vacation, so I just 'went with it,' as the kids say.

1 comment:

Mom said...

HI, Sorry again that the vacation was such a struggle. I guess it's really not a surprise that things are more difficult when one is not in one's usual structure. But it was fun to be together...and as always eating seems to be a part of it. I'm glad you got some exercise in and am trying to restore my eating and exercise schedule too. Love, MOM
PS: How about Agassi? I went to bed after the 3rd set. He was down 0-4 in the 3rd and came back to win the set and the match. That's grit and determination. He just never gave up. Great life lessson.