Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Year 4, Day 66: Sugar Free is not Calorie Free

One of the most difficult things to remember is that things that don't contain sugar are not only not reliably GOOD for you, but that often they are WORSE for you than the things they are replacing.  What all the sugar-free stuff really is for is not for dieters who actually will torpedo their diets by ingesting lots of calories and bad stuff like corn syrup but for diabetics and those that actually can eat anything but not SUGAR.  Anyway, tonight I took Ruby to Cabot's after her clay lesson and for some reason I talked myself into ordering a sugar free chocolate soft-serve yogurt.  To my own dismay, I completed the transition to old Jewish man when I could hear to repeatedly say outloud, to no one but my uninterested, underpaid wait staff 'this can't be sugar free.'  Ruby, meanwhile, was buried, nose to eyebrow in coffee oreo sundae, minus the cherry, whipped cream, or really anything that would qualify it as a sundae.  Again, there were a lot of nuts. It was not a great day.

Breakfast
2 Eggs
3 slices of Canadian Bacon
Coffee

Snack
4 sticks beef jerky
2 cheese sticks
lots of almonds (probably in the 70s)

Lunch: Demo's
Chicken kebab with Greek Salad

Dinner: Cabot's
Side Caesar Salad (made from the dark green gritty tops of romaine hearts, a sad tale but I ate all of it)
Dinner Salad (Spinach, bacon, olives, mushrooms, cheese, grilled chicken). I eschewed the eggs.

Dessert
1 cup of sugar-free (!) chocolate soft-serve yogurt

Ruby said her hamburger was 'perfect' and even better than the 'burger bar'.  She poured ketchup on half of the bun, then dipped seven french fries in it.  Then she lost all interest in her french fries and ate the entire hamburger and left both halves of the bun over.  That's my girl, I thought.  Save the calories for the ice cream.

No comments: