Thursday, January 26, 2006

Day 332: Sam

Last night a close family friend died. While it's always hard to process this kind of thing, it's even harder not to reach for the food for comfort. On top of it, Ruby is still not 100%, Magnolia seems to have a bug giving her a fever, and we're all getting the car for NY. There is no doubt that I could sit myself down and finish off a package of Fig Newtons (originally to be called Fig Shrewsburys but for a last minute change of plans). The other reason I don't eat the Fig Newtons is they are literally filled with everything that everyone should avoid—corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and sugared-up fig paste that leaves plaque on your teeth. Ruby's dentist confirmed that the best desserts (if you must have desserts) are ice cream, popsicles and crispy cookies. I say amen to all three!

Breakfast
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain Bread
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar Lite
2 Slices Black Forest Ham
Tea

Snack
12 oz. coffee (half decaf)
30 pistachios
1 Cheese Stick
6 oz. Plain Yogurt with
Lots of Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean

Lunch: Wonton Kitchen
Beef with Broccoli
House special egg drop soup

Dinner
Salad
1 Joy Stick
1 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

It was good that I had a slightly larger than average lunch because dinner was simply not happening for anyone this evening. We tried hard to bring order to the house with a round of baths and eventually everyone got to sleep. But the ride tomorrow is going to be difficult. I almost ate a fudge pop but realized that I can't be weak now—the real weakness will come when I'm surrounded by mourners and in close proximity to the world's most delicious food (I'm talking about you, New York). Prior to this incident my mother (longtime blog readers insert cheer here) had gotten to Balthazar's NY place and stocked us up, which was good because we were down to our last two slices of Rye.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Now that I have tasted it how do you know I'm giving it up to you? Not serious but it really is good. (Remember what Freud said about jokes. ) I promise to be on my best behavior too as we are all surrounded by dietary temptations this weekend. To wit...someone sent an enormous carton full of chicken and things from the Poultry Mart. I guess there are worse things to be tempted by that good protein. Thinking about food is a good displacement from feeling sad. Love, MOM