Sunday, January 01, 2006

Day 307: Last Night of 2005, Seventh Night of Chanukah

As weeks go, you can't really get any bigger than Christmas, Chanukah and New Year's all in one. If only Thanksgiving were celebrated on the Chinese year calendar it could have fallen in this week, too. Fortunately it didn't, since we've all had enough by this point. Enough of relatives, parties, social obligations, and the temptations (raise your hand if you want more temptations) that come with them. Tonight some will be out galavanting, and some will watch Ryan Seacrest try to take the wheel from the poor, addled post-stroke Dick Clark. I'm not sure what we'll be doing, but I sure I am glad to be at home with my family. I guess by reading this, you all got home safely, too.

Breakfast
2 Slices of Multi-Grain Balthazar Bread (have figured out perfect Toast setting is a 5)
Super Chunky and Regular Peanut Butter
2-3 oz. Jalapeno Cheddar Lite
Tea

Snack
A few bites of buttered multigrain bread Emily made for Ruby
A few handfuls of air-popped popcorn made for Molly
a few nuts (natch)
50% of a small popcorn at the Movies (Ruby and I saw "Curse of the Were-Rabbit")

Lunch
The remainder of some Tuna salad made for Ruby
The remainder of the Jalapeno Cheese block from this AM

Dinner
Steak Tips
Salad

Dessert
38% of Russian Chocolate Cheesecake Bar (Declined to finish it—do I really need those calories?)
2 bites of Magnolia's Oatmeal (For demonstration purposes)

Like most, I am looking forward to the next two days off, but then there's the issue of the WHOLE WIDE YEAR laying out in front of you. That can be somewhat and unsettling, when you think about where you've been and what you're in for. I heard a song recently that moved me beyond words. I think it's appropriate for this night, and especially for me (how did Irving Berlin know I'd have two children with curly hair?). Of course, reading the simple lyrics without the melody (he knew how to write one, you know, and if you don't, you should be ashamed) doesn't do the song justice, but what can I do? I'm just a simple text-blogger.

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS by Irving Berlin

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep
Counting my blessings

When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep
Counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds

If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep
Counting your blessings

1 comment:

Mom said...

Isn't it John Lennon who wrote something like "so it is New Year's." etc. Wishing you and yours all the very best in the coming year. I picked up somebody's cold so after a nice brunch at Ruth's club I crawled into bed...well almost..and spent a quite day at home. Love to all. MOM