Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Day 211: Back in the USSR


No matter how bad going to New York (metro) is, coming home is worse, even though it's such a relief. So often it is a rainy, dreary affair. Today was no different. Without really an idea of what we were going to eat in the car, we joylessly packed up and got the kids in. I had taken the day off of work in order so that we didn't have to leave on Sunday after arriving on Saturday—that's too much for us—we amble slowly. It also worked out that I was going to see Paul McCartney at the Fleet Center/Boston Garden/Whatever it's called, so I was quite eager to get on the road. When we were all packed and kids in, we realized that the car was TOTALLY DEAD. Like calling AAA dead. Emily saved the day by stalking the neighborhood and finding a workman with cables in his car (apparently this is getting harder to find nowadays). We got on the road only about a half hour late and I made it to the concert with plenty of time.

Breakfast
Whole wheat English muffin
Peanut Butter
3 oz Jalapeno Cheese (of the 50% variety)
Coffee and Tea

Lunch
Scrambled Eggs
2.5 Strips Turkey Bacon
More Cheese

Etc.
Cashews & Almonds
More Cheese
4 McDonald's French Fries (one with ketchup)

Pre-Concert Dinner
Boneless Chicken Fingers with Blue Cheese & Celery
Steak Tips
Mesclun Greens
Cole Slaw
String Beans

Not too surprisingly, I fell into a near-cheese-coma by the time we reached Stamford. This made it very difficult to be excited about the night's events. I was feeling quite ill for quite a while until about the half way mark when we stopped because we needed to go to the bathroom, Ruby was hungry and Magnolia was crying. I got Ruby a "Mighty Meal" which is basically a 'happy meal' with 'the same great toy." Not sure why it's more expensive, then? Amazingly, she picked the chicken nuggets meal, and possibly even more amazingly, she eschewed the french fries. After feeling totally car sick, the combination of fresh air and delicious SMELLING McDonald's food got the best of me and I ate a few fries. I remained fairly unwell until we got back to Boston. Then I got my appetite back, as you can read. The concert was a great time, despite the fact that Paul made the whole stadium full of people sing the "Nah Nah Nah Nah" refrain from Hey Jude. And I thought I came there to hear HIM sing.

No comments: