Wednesday, September 07, 2005

192: Still Hungry


www.redcross.com

If you've been reading here for a while you know that I often found the hardest time to give up eating was in the evening, right after dinner. In my previous life snacking would continue on through the night as we put stuff away, prepared Ruby's lunch, and had dessert at 10:00pm. Now, there is only sugarless gum and tea. While those are...how can I put it? Completely unsatisfying, I can squeak because chewing something sugary and lots of liquids tend to level me out. But now I'm finding that the mornings are getting more and more difficult for me. This could be because after four weeks, I am still without my Mac (after many calls revealed that the long-sought after part had been delivered so it should be on its way tomorrow) and working on a slow, beige Windows machine. In other parts of life, there is a lot of stress, and so the moments first at work can tend to be a highly stressful time of day. When you're on a diet that restricts your carbs (and calories) you realize how much you miss keeping a bag of anything nearby for constant snacking. You really miss it alot.

Breakfast
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 Cup Strawberries/Blueberries
Tea

Snack
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
1 oz peanuts
1 small nectarine
1 cheese stick
Diet coke

Lunch (Casa de Pedro)
Chicken on Salad with:
Nuts, Cranberries, Avocado

Dinner
Flounder with Leeks and Scallions

One unusual aspect of being on the diet for me has been giving up ketchup. When you look at the ingredients on the Heinz ketchup bottle, you realize that sugar is a huge component. Really, why kids love putting ketchup on everything is because they all come with a built-in sweet tooth and ketchup is sweet. If you're a republican, you can count it as a vegetable, but on the SoBe we are instructed to skip. So, needing a condiment I turned to Tabasco sauce. I love it, but it can be hard to take sometimes. But the Jalapeno Tabasco sauce (http://countrystore.tabasco.com/index_category_more.cfm?tlcatid=2&catid=46&moreid=C286) is just outrageously good. I just purchased a case of it from a restaurant supply house, because I must take a bottle with me every where I go. In this way, I have turned into my father, and I guess that's part of being 40.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Here's hoping that you get your Mac back ASAP. You remain a wonderful example to all for maintaining this eating program. Love to all. MOM