Monday, September 12, 2005

Day 197: That Sinking Feeling


It's official: I've plateaued. Saw Detecto today and it was a rousing 196, again. If it hasn't been absolutely crystal-clear to all the readers, then it will be today. It's about two months since I've hit my goal weight loss (30 lbs) and though there have been nights out at expensive restaurants, poker games, and visits to Martha's Vineyard (but no pig roast- sorry, Gary, maybe next year if you've forgiven me by then). Though I am surprised that I have stayed at the same weight I am also kind of glad that I have not gained any weight. To be able to maintain your weight is a skill that I never worked at- I just gained over the years. I know that only two things can get me to my next goal weight of 185 lbs—harder exercise and more stringent dieting. I am not sure I am ready to go there, and I've learned anything from my time on SoBe, it's that you can't go where you aren't ready to go. Well you can, but you won't stay long.

Breakfast
1 Whole Wheat English Muffin
1 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese
Tea

Snack
Medium Dunkin Donuts coffee (half decaf)
1/4 cup mixed almonds/cashews
1 joy stick
1 nectarine

Lunch
1 Bacon Omlette with Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomatoes
More Coffee
2 Potato Wedges
1 Slice Whole Wheat Toast with Butter

Dinner
Salmon Steak
Broccoli

I'm thinking that the feeling of wellness I had the other day was not wellness arriving, but actually leaving—and the purpose of my awareness of it was that so I can remember what it was like during the days to come. I was kind of in a funk after the visit to the Dr., and at lunch I had for myself a slice of buttered whole wheat toast. It was good. The potatoes were hot, but not crispy. But they were good too. With all of this going on, I have to find a new gym, too, as I don't think I can sign up for a individual pass to the JCC which I think is something like $700. Does anyone know if that's a reasonable price for a gym membership? Because I'm thinking if I'm entrepreneurial I could be like Rocky Balboa, and chase chickens and punch meat for free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, It's no fun to work so hard and to stay the same weight but it's a great deal better than gaining. Also, sometimes you are level for a while just before a good weight loss. So don't be discouraged and keep up the great work! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

omygawd you are doing great. Plateauing is really ok-- I think of it as body adjustment. And who cares when the other 10 comes- it will when you are ready. Not gaining is HUGE. It is everything. It is the true incorporation of a different relationship with food, which is THE real battle, after all. Chill. Be proud of your wonderful accomplishment. The rest will come.
xo- Amy

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart.

1. I am responding to the post before this one: I am certain that the percentage Woody Allen said was NOT 90. You could look it up.....betcha a million bucks.

2. Barbara's 6 comments really had me laughing.

3. Stop thinking about your fleeting feeling of wellness, because whether it's wellness or hellness, we are together and, as Mr. Guidubaldi said in a famous card he wrote to Amy, together we have the edge.