Saturday, September 15, 2007

Year 3, Day 195: Back from New York x2 Out of 3

Except for the rather cruel cutoff time (8:30AM), the hotel breakfast is really swell. It would be nice if they would change the menu occasionally, but I guess they are in business to serve the business traveler, not to tickle the culinary funny bones of the occasional family traveler. Ruby likes the waffles but it would be nice if they could turn out a tasty muffin instead of serving the heat-n-serve type.

Breakfast
Everything Omelet
Honeydew
Bacon
Coffee, too much

On the road/pre-snack
Tamari Almonds (luckily Ruby found love with Tamari almonds and took them away from me)
Dried fruit

Lunch/Shady Glen
Cheeseburger with Mustard
Garden Salad
2 Onion Rings, 2 French Fries

Bag-popped popcorn

Dinner
Salad/Tuna/Feta/Balsamci
2 tablespoons peanut butter

My brother had told me about this place called "Shady Glen" that he'd heard about on the phantom gourmet. Their claim to fame was that they serve 4-slice cheeseburgers that have been cooked into a triangular cheese tent. We pulled over to go there and the line was long and we were all hungry and cranky and Ruby and I got into a fight because she wouldn't behave and I told her we couldn't go and she should get back in the car. Then the line disappeared and Emily was stuck in the car with both kids crying and couldn't get out. I didn't have a coat on and it was the type of place where I knew if I got up my seat would be gone in a Connecticut second. I called her on the cell phone and hoped for the best. Though nobody ordered a cheeseburger (except for me) we determined that it was a charming place but a bit too far from the highway (15 minutes) to be worth a regular trip. And really, the food was like bowling alley food but you had to wait longer and there was no bowling. When we got home, exhausted, we ate what was in the house, which is of course, was made of nuts.

Still, it was good to be home.

No comments: