Saturday, November 25, 2006

Year 2, Day 266: Day After Thanksgiving

Even for a restrained-at-eating guy, I felt like I ate a lot, and even that was after three sets of tennis. Of course, whenever I work out or exercise I'm nearly always eating right afterwards so there's very often little in the way of saved calories there. But Dr. Oz (Oprah's Doctor, and author of "You on a Diet" says that once you create new muscle, it consumes a lot of calories, so you might just change your metabolism permanently if you can do that. Today, I again played three sets of tennis. I didn't keep track of the scores, but you can assume I lost any singles I played, but I played with Emily's sister Amy and we won in doubles. My brother-in-law helped me conclude that the new tennis racket I am playing with might in fact be the cause of my tennis elbow, so today I played with my old one, which has not been restrung since before Ruby was born (so at least six years, but maybe eight or nine). Last night I was icing and heating my arm so I could get one more day on the courts. Now that's dedication, isn't it? Or something stupider?

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean
Heritage Flakes
Blueberries
1 Small Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Pretennis-Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch: Russo's ($6.05)
Red leaf, romaine, red pepper, mushrooms, olives
broccoli, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar.

Post Tennis Snack:
6 oz plain yogurt
3 Tablespoons Chunky Peanut Butter

Dinner
Chicken Breast
Chinese Greens
Cabbage Salad
1 Glass Red Wine

Dessert
Several squares of dark and milk chocolate.

Because our guests wanted to go to the New Balance outlet, I suggested we all go to Russo's which is nearby. We all had a great time and for the first time in history I got a Russo's salad on Saturday. Interestingly (only to me) the salad bar had a slightly different arrangement on Saturdays, with the chicken on the left hand side (if you're getting your tin & plastic over) instead of the right hand side. It was also in a smaller container (not a double wide, but a single). Though I spent six dollars on the salad, I had a feeling I would be splitting it with someone—and that was true, multiple people ended up eating it with me. At Russo's I also bought some chocolate bars—one 100% dark chocolate, that was nearly inedible at first, but after a while, kind of like the most pleasant tasting burnt-brown crayon. I shan't be buying that again.

No comments: