Thursday, November 23, 2006

Year 2, Day 265: Happy Thanksgiving

Though Emily and I did not venture South this year, like nearly all 20 years we have been together in Boston, instead, her sister and brother in law drove up and they made an organic turkey. Amazingly, we got to play nearly 3 hours of tennis this morning, which is great, because it raises your metabolism so that you might have the space for apple pie (baked for dessert). If only I hadn't been eating all day, that is. The first two sets I played I lost, despite having the advantage 3-0 in the opening set against my brother in-law. Sad to say that my tennis elbow was acting up again and soon I was in some real agony. You might think I'm telling tales, but the final score, 6-3, 6-0 really underlines the injury. Relaxing somewhat, we played a game of doubles against Emily and her sister, which we won handily, 6-2.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean
Heritage Flakes
Banana
Blueberries
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Tennis Snackz
1 Kind Bar/Fruit & Nut
A few cashews/almonds

Lunch: Blue Ribbon
Burnt Ends
Pickles
Green Salad

Other Snack:
1 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn
Assorted tastes of Thanksgiving Dinner

Dinner
Turkey
Brussel Sprouts
Leeks
Pearl Onions in Balsamic Vinegar
Bites of: Candied Yam, Stuffing
1 Glass Red Wine

The whole thing about Thanksgiving (or any big holiday meal) is pretty much the same problem with the "All-You-Can-Eat" buffets. First, there is an EXPECTATION that you will eat too much. It's out there—it's an unspoken part of the holiday, right down to being included in advertising copy. I think it says something like "eating too much and falling asleep on the couch shouldn't just be on Thanksgiving." It's about their turkey-stuffing-cranberry sub, which I've never had, but know from experience that it can be delicious. Emily and I used to go to a place in Brookline (sigh) that's long gone called Pugsley's. At Pugsley's they made the best ever turkey-stuffing-cranberry sandwich on a soft bulkie roll. They made their own turkey, their own stuffing, it was heavenly. And something I suppose I'll never eat again, since I'm on the program and Pugsley's is no more. But overall it was a happy Thanksgiving. A splendid time was had by all.

No comments: