Friday, November 17, 2006

Year 2, Day 258: North Carolina Day Two

My company scheduled us for a two-day company outing on which the first day involved an 8AM arrival at secluded YMCA setting. Part of being on the South Beach diet is sussing out your meals ahead of time. Naturally, I called the exec assistant in charge of putting it together a few days earlier. I asked what kind of breakfast would be served. Further, I said, if it will just be muffins and donuts I want to know so I can plan something else. Because she is nice, I think she agreed to change the menu (though I did not ask her to). However, she did remark at the meeting that the breakfast the following day would be bagels and fruit and added that 'people with special dietary needs are on their own.' Since she mentioned that the first day's breakfast 'might have it catered by Chick Filet-A," I decided to take no chances and eat a big breakfast at the hotel that AM. As it turned out, there were bacon egg and cheese wraps, which I helped myself to one of, as well as a banana. The lunch that day—BBQ—was advertised as 'being brought in from South Carolina,' so I had very high hopes. After all, I have been have been passively searching for the country's best barbecue. When lunch time arrived, it was sorely needed but culinary disappointing. The pulled pork was good, but way too sweet. The baked beans and cole slaw also suffered from this problem. Additionally depressing was that there was no sauce hot enough for my liking. Even the one labeled XX-HOT was mild, by my standards.

Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs
Bacon
Cantaloupe
Strawberries

Lunch
Pulled Pork
Cole Slaw
Beans
Chicken Breast

Snackz
Banana
Cashews/Almonds
1 dry soy cappuccino

Dinner
Caesar Salad (7 leafs of lettuce)
Ribs (Ground-round style)
Green Beans (pretty good)

Dessert
3 Bites of Cheesecake

Afterwards
2 Heizenweiss Beer Glasses

In addition to eating an early breakfast, I also brought some cashews/almonds and a few joy sticks, in case a low-blood sugar moment should come over me and I was in the middle of a corporate-sponsored trust exercise that I could not extract myself from. Fortunately for all involved, this did not happen. I did stop during the scavenger hunt for a dry-soy-cappucino when I noticed a few of my other cohorts were already ensconced at the Starbucks in the mall. Alas, it did not help, for my team failed to place. The final meal of the day was at a game room that served liquor and in a moment of foolish hope, I ordered the ribs, but then was crushed to realized the fact that we were in North Carolina was only incidental; the ribs had been minted and shipped from some Ground Round corporate facility, somewhere in the United States. Following dinner I was supposed to meet an old friend, but to top off my day, my cell phone up and died.

At the suggestion of a few peers, for whom I was there to develop kindly relations with, I stepped out for a few wheat beers. When I weighed that choice against going for another 10:00pm workout at the Marriot exercise room, it seemed like the only sensible choice.

No comments: