Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Day 261: Trip To New York

I was seeing a client who is deep in New Jersey, and I decided to take the train (the Acela) because it literally stops a few minutes from their offices. I made sure I packed lots of SoBe friendly snacks for the road, and in fact ate most of them. I probably could have gone without a few of them, but when you spend 8 hours on a train, you indulge yourself a little. I did not eat any of my joy sticks.

Breakfast
2 slices of when pigs fly bread
peanut butter
tea

Snack
1/2 cup almonds/cashews
6 oz yoplait lite yogurt (bananas and strawberries)
10 dried apricots
1 cameo apple (bruised)

Lunch
3 Roll Mops: Ham, Muenster, Pickles, Mustard
1 Romaine Heart
2 Slices Toscano Salami

Dinner
13 oz. Spinach Salad with Egg, Bacon and Cheese
Dressing

At the client meeting the clients were kind enough to provide snacks: water and cookies. The water was served in several different size containers (both sport bottles and non-sport bottles) and the cookies (served in plastic cups(!)) had the feeling of an afterthought. I demurred, citing the South Beach diet and quietly calculated how many cookies I would have had I not been on the diet. The number was at least two (there were chocolate chip and sugar) because I would have tried one of each; and certainly would have gone back for seconds. Instead, I contented myself with knowing that I had an apple and apricots in my bag, and I could eat them if I got hungry. As it was, they served us dinner on the Acela right away, a Spinach salad. I asked for, and got, a second helping, which was good because six ounces of spinach is NOT a dinner portion.

1 comment:

Mom said...

That's really great. You did a masterful job. I'm really proud of you. My best wishes to Em on her birthday and thanks to her too for supporting you in this effort. Can't wait to see you all next week. Love, MOM