Monday, June 20, 2005

Day 112

I did get to the gym today, in case people were wondering. It took a few weeks, but I made it. And when I got there, hardly anyone was there. They have a sign up board for the machines, and I dutifully signed up, though I feared no encroachment from any other gym goers. It was a motley crew in there; a few older, heavier men. I think I was the thinnest man under 50 in the room. I may have been the only man under 50. The TVs were on CNN news and I was forced to endure Wolf Blitzer's interview with Condaleeza Rice which almost made me want to stop working out. I laughed outloud though, when they flashed up a preview of the next show: "Countdown to Terror." That was as preposterous a thing as I've ever seen on TV.

Despite the CNN broadcast, I was able to do 45 minutes on the elliptical exercise machine, which is also a total of 3 miles. It was a pretty big deal for me, even though I wasn't going mad on the machine, I was just using the 'quick workout' feature. Then I walked twice around the track, just to get some of the jelly out of my legs. I had a good mind to get home and bike with Ruby, but I had to set about eating the contents of the refrigerator first. By the time I was done with that, she was on to something else.

Breakfast
Eggs a la Robert
2 Strips Turkey Bacon
Coffee, black

Snack
6 oz yogurt, 'lite' yoplait
with 15 almonds
and 1 cup strawberries
Mas strawberries
1 cheese stick (split with Magnolia—well, split isn't the right word)
20 peanuts

Lunch
Salad with Tuna Salad, Feta, Peppadews

Dinner
Steak Tips Teriyaki
Stir-fried cabbage

I recently switched from Jennie-O Turkey Bacon to Louis Rich Turkey Bacon, which is an Oscar Mayer product. I had also tried Applegate's Turkey Bacon (from Whole Foods) but it was much too Turkey-esque. I really like my Turkey Bacon to taste like Bacon, not Turkey. It's silly to hold a turkey flavor against the bacon, but if you try it you'll know what I mean. The last trip I made to Star/Shaw's (aka the Worst Supermarkets in Massachusetts) they only had Louis Rich and Jennie-O EXTRA LEAN Turkey Bacon. I was flabbergasted—I don't want it to be ANY MORE LEAN THAN IT ALREADY IS. I WANT TO BE EATING SOMETHING FATTIER. Aghast at what a leaner version of Jennie-O might taste like, I opted for the Louis Rich, which I'm sure is made with twice as much of whatever makes something like that bad for you. But I thought that Jennie-O, though delicious, is probably bad too, or else Whole Foods would sell it (the worst kind of consumerism logic). Anyway, the Louis Rich is very yummy, and it even looks more like bacon (more evidence that it is made with bad things in it) but you really have to cook it to crispy. Unlike real bacon, it's not good at that 'just under crispy' phase.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the licorice tea dessert tip with me. I don't know how long I can last, or if I'm doing it right, or what the deal is for a lactating lady, but....although I can't say I'm happy to be aboard, I'm certainly less unhappy to try and impose some control over the chaos. Blecccch and thanks for leading the way.

Anonymous said...

HI, Hurray for your matrimonial sobe partner. Now if we can get your brother onboard! It sounds so great that you're going to the gym....Is tomorrow Detecto day? Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

What is the link to Emily's blog?

Jillzy