Saturday, April 28, 2007

Year 3, Day 59: Diversity Day

Showtime: The big day. Last year I was asked by my neighbor if I would host a celebration of acts from around the world at Ruby's school. Knowing that there was no one else to do it, and that I was a natural ham, I agreed. Naturally, I was asked again to do it, and I agreed. Sadly, the event was not advertised properly and there was a poor turnout. It reminded me of my days at the Coolidge where my coworkers, Erica and Andrea would realize in horror that a particular movie where the director or star was coming would not be well attended. Then, we'd have to slink out of the theatre lest we have to experience the shame that comes from producing a failing event. One man, the executive director, David Kleiler, stood out, because he never failed out to walk out, even to a crowd of one, and give a performance equal to what he would have given if there was a full house (only with less breaks for laugh lines). With him in mind, I took to the stage and gave it my all, but I cut down some of the jokes, since my audience was about 20 2nd graders.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Lunch: Chan Shin Yuan Leftovers
Chicken with Spinach
Boneless Spareribs

Snack @ Event
Almonds
Broccoli
1 Dark Chocolate Raisin
1.5 oz Boston Lite Popcorn

Dinner
Big Salad
Hamburger

Dessert
Some Spoonfuls of Super Chunky Peanut Butter
Chocolate Chips

There are two parts to the event; the performance and the food. I tried my best to avoid all the excitingly diverse, ethnic, deep fried, fatty foods and stick to what I could eat, which was basically uncooked broccoli and almonds. It was a hard day all around, but everyone who came took home a lot of leftovers. If I'm not being too cynical, I think I spied at least one person I knew who showed up to the event SOLEY for the purpose of collecting leftovers. We may never have proof, but you read it here first.

No comments: