Thursday, April 12, 2007

Year 3, Day 43: Date Night

Trying my hardest to move beyond political failure, I keep things in perspective by noting that Imus has been kicked to the curb by CBS. It's hard to understand if this is the right thing to be done. It doesn't necessarily feel like the punishment fits the crime, but in America there are second third and fourth acts, especially for those in the public eye. I thought a lot about Bill Maher, whose show Politically Incorrect, was ironically cancelled after remarks he made about the 911 Hijackers. He remarked that they were "stupid, but not cowardly" for staying in the planes as they hit the building. For my part, I ate nearly 500 calories of chocolate and a glass of wine and hope that tomorrow is a better day.

Breakfast
2 Slices of Jane's Whole Grain Bread (3 oz.)
Super Chunky Peanut Butter
3 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch: Won Ton Kitchen
House Special Egg Drop Soup
Chicken & String Beans

Snack
4 sticks Beef Jerky
1.5 oz Boston Lite Popcorn

Dinner: Vela (Wesley)
Beef Short RIbs
Bib Salad with Pistachios and Raisins
Tuna with Whipped Cauliflower
Broccoli Rabe

Dessert
15 Squares of Milk Chocolate with Almonds
About 20 Chocolate Chips

Vela was an excellent restaurant. Emily and I split a few appetizers and then I ordered the broccoli after the entree had hit the table. Since we generally go out at around 6pm on a Thursday we are often the first, only or one of just a few people in the restaurant. So far this is really good in terms of staff attention (except for Sabra, where they didn't seem to care that any customers had shown up) but it makes for really quick dinners—when you're younger and go out on dates on the weekend you have no idea how much time is wasted just waiting for things to happen, like waiting for the salad course, or the sorbet course. Upon my return home, I broke open a chocolate bar I had foolishly purchased at whole foods. When I found the strength to put that away, I took out the chocolate chips. Really the sign of a desperate man.

No comments: