Thursday, October 13, 2005

Day 227: Yom Kippur

Typically a night, and a day, spent in earnest thought and consideration for the year past, and the sins within it. Always a difficult time for me, and often one that finds me consulting the books or considering a nearby body of water. Tonight though, it was just the four of us at home, trying to figure out how to pack for a few days in New York for Magnolia's one year old birthday party. Often, there is a festive meal to say goodbye to the old year, a meat meal, but tonight there was sort of a catch-as-catch can meal comprised of frozen chicken soup (I made it a week ago for Rosh Hashanah); prepared-food brisket, and some frijoles. For Ruby, there was buttery angel-hair pasta and chicken soup, both of which she consumed with gusto that made me proud to have been the creator of both the dishes and the girl (well 50%). I wonder if having her buy lunch at school will make her appreciate the food we make it home more (Friday's lunch is French Toast sticks with maple syrup). For me, there was challah, apples and honey, a sip of wine and two coins of chocolate was going out sinning big, because next year is going to be a slimming one.

Breakfast
1 slice Harvest Bread, When Pigs Fly
Peanut Butter
3 Slices Ham
Tea

Snack
2 Dragon Sticks
8 Dried Apricots
1 Fuji Apple
12 oz Coffee (half decaf)

Lunch
Artisan Salad: Red Leaf, Ham, Grilled Chicken, Cheddar, Olives

Dinner
Brisket
Chicken Soup
Frijoles
~2 slices challah
~2 slices apple with honey
2 chocolate coins

Tomorrow will obviously be a 'light' day for the blog; there will be only one meal on it (the break-fast). I will be joining my brother and his family and friends in Marblehead (if the rain doesn't wipe the Massachusetts coast away by then) for a breakfast, for which I have secured $40 in baked goods (they're price gougers during this season). By then, I may be lighter of the soul, but heavier by at least one rugeleach.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wishing you an easy fast and a quiet day of relfection. I'm sure it can't quite be that way with two young children but the thought is there anyway. Treasure these years...they go by so quickly. Sam is still in the hospital while they try to figure out what to do with him. I'm having just a few people for breakfast. Love to all. MOM