Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Day 219: Rosh Hashana-"Today is the beginning of the world."

If you are given to emotional responses to the occasional heartfelt religious sentiment as I am, Rosh Hashanah can be a difficult time. However, its message of rebirth, reinvention and redemption is powerful, and it's one of the reasons that even the least religious Jews pay attention during this time of the year. Aside from the new year, there is talk of God writing in the "good book" and the "bad book" for the coming year. It's always difficult to gauge where you're going to land, but it's always much easier to look back and see which one you were in retrospect. I have much to do, improve and change about myself and consequently, I spend time at the river with loaves of bread, tossing in sins and contemplating how to do better. At the very least, in terms of food, appetite, and physical exercise, I have come a long way, and that feels good. But I have far to go to get to my next goal weight, and to make the lifestyle permanent. When I'm done with my physical body, there is a whole host of things to work on in the mind.

Breakfast
2 Eggs O'er
3 strips turkey bacon
Tea

Snack
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
grapes
coffee (1/2 decaf)

Lunch
Greek salad with Grilled Chicken

Post Schul Snack
6 oz 'lite' yogurt
Cheese
More nuts
1 slice ham
more grapes

Dinner
Flounder Stir-Fry a la Em
with Baby Bok Choy
Salad with Cabbage, Feta & Broccoli
Bites of a Hot Dog Ruby Didn't Eat

This morning I started my 'new year' by having a phase one breakfast. Then a pretty good lunch, but going to Schul (temple) and coming home made me hungry, and because Emily was interviewing a babysitter, we didn't get to eat until later, and I started combing through the fridge. Nothing un-SoBe, but with me the volume is an issue. I didn't finish my dinner or salad for once, and that certainly reflects eating a bunch of other stuff late. I still need to get back to regular walking tomorrow—these past days have been a little disruptive, from a schedule perspective.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what - there's no possible way to get rid of blogospam? That stuff is so irritating.

Happy New Year..

e

deutschzilla said...

happy rosh hashanna

Mom said...

Happy New Year to ALL! It is a time of reflection and self examination. All good things to all of you. Love, MOM

I take it from Deutzilla's 4:14AM comment that he arrived home safely but didn't get to sleep. Love again. MOM