Monday, October 10, 2005

Day 224: Wick and Lennon's Birthday(s) Today


There is much to be said about ridding the American diet of its white flour and white sugar. First of all, the baking industry would be finished. There are very few successes of delicious desserts minus the 'whites.' No matter how the Whole Foods industry tries, for the most part they're always coming up with a "frookie"— a cookie that substitutes white grape juice for white sugar. The truth is that these products just aren't as good as their whited-up counterparts. Now they can make delicious desserts without high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils, and they should, but I'm getting off my point, which is that dessert is such a big part of American life. And never is it a bigger part of any part of American life than a birthday. Emily and I (& kinder) went to see one of our oldest and dearest friends to celebrate his birthday. They provided the food from Boston Market (read: hidden carbs) and a cake that was sized for 20 people. I had a tiny slice, Ruby had some, Magnolia is not of cake eating age and we'll just say that other folks had some cake too. It was delicious, as all temptations are. We asked that it be taken out of the room.

Breakfast
3.5 strips Turkey Bacon
Terribly Failed Eggs Over
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Lunch
White Meat Chicken
Meatloaf (made probably with about 30% white breadcrumbs and sugar, by my guess)
Vegetables (Broc, Carrots, Zucchini)
Creamed Spinach
Dessert: Cake (Devils Food with White Frosting)

Snack
1 Cheese Stick
1 oz. salted peanuts

Dinner
Steak Tips
Double Greek Salad (I ate Emily's portion, too)

Just glad I got to the gym yesterday. Hopefully the rain will hold out and I'll be able to get some walks in. Also, I noticed at the JCC they were offering a "free consultation with a fitness trainer." I must get on that—I wonder if it's promotional? I'm sure you have to sign up for 10 sessions or something. But I am looking forward to the next level in my fitness training. Looking at all the old pictures really keeps me motivated. But resisting cake will always be hard.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Spam is spam...but no sugar or white flour so I guess you have to put up with it. Birthdays are birthdays too. . You are right about that...but it sounds iike you and Em handled it well. Love, MOM