Friday, July 15, 2005

Day 137: Another Poker Game Looms

Not only is there a card game looming, but I have a sense that the week that begins tomorrow may spell the beginning of a period where there are going to be all kinds of things (like food) surrounding me. I know a few people have had some interest in my birthday, whether it was celebrating it, or buying a life-size bag of potato chips for me to roll around in, as a celebration of my weight loss. Even folk at work were speculating on an appropriate gift. If I didn't convey my feelings here in the blog, then I'll say it again—the gift of their support is the greatest thing I could get. The fact that they have taken out their lunch hours to join me on a walk two or three times a week has been overwhelming. Sure, we all get something out of it, but I have gained my health, and for an old Jewish man, that's a big deal. If you don't believe me ask my Uncle Moey.

Last year, I'm sure I imagined my 40th birthday as most men do: surrounded by red meat, cigars and other vices inappropriate to a family-friendly blog. But oh how things have changed. There might be red meat, but the days of creamed spinach, potatoes and the like are gone. The only vices left are gambling, smoking cigars and being really, really cranky and rude. Don't ask me to give those up, I just can't.

Breakfast
1 Whole Wheat English Muffin
2 Tsp Peanut Butter
Tea

Snack
1/2 cup mixed unsalted nuts
1 cheese stick
6 oz V-8
1 Granny Smith Apple

Lunch
Chicken Salad over Salad
No dressing

Dinner
Korean Pork
Stir-fry Cabbage Onions

Today we went for a walk with the Domania gang and even though about halfway through the sun started bearing down on us, I realized that by using a trick taught to me by a co-worker of using my full stride to walk, it wasn't that hard to get the walk done, and when I concentrated on walking I realized I didn't have to fall behind the pack today. Yet another liberation brought to you by SoBe. As friends of mine (and wives) start working through the diet, I am remembering the hard days at the beginning. From where I am now, it felt easy, but I know that wasn't the case. I want to kick back and relax and enjoy where I am, but I am staying firmly within the SoBe city limits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you all on your birthdays. Perhaps one plays better poker when not in a sugar "high." Love, MOM