Thursday, July 27, 2006

Year 2, Day 148: The KFC Bowls


Long time readers know that I am nearly obsessed with fast food, but I really couldn't believe it when I read about KFC Bowls. According to KFC, they are "'Freshly prepared' with layers of your KFC favorites: a generous serving of our creamy mashed potatoes, sweet kernel corn, bite size pieces of all-white meat crispy chicken, topped with our homestyle gravy and 3-cheese blend. All the KFC favorites you know and love served in a convenient easy-to-eat bowl!"

Now if I was not on a program, and if I were my old self, I'd be eating one of these every day. That's what's really so sad. Because each bowl contains 690 calories (270 from fat), or about 1/3rd of a whole day's calories, with 31 grams of fat (9 saturated) and a whopping 77 grams of Carbs. It also features 2110 mg sodium, or about your whole day's worth. In fairness, it does have 27 grams of protein.

I used to get the mashed potatoes and corn from Boston Chicken and mix them together, so I was already half-way there. I had to give that up when I went on a seven-year Boston Chicken embargo, but that's another story. The thought that you would add popcorn chicken (that's fried little pieces, not really described properly above), gravy AND cheese to that is really telling. How soon will the blender be introduced for a KFC Bowl Smoothie? (Don't forget that Fresca is made out of Wood).

More from the Louisville Courier-Journal: "We know our products are better for lunch when they're portable," said Scott Bergren, KFC executive vice president for marketing, in a statement. The bowls, priced at $3.99, have broad appeal and are targeted at "heavy fast-food users," said James O'Reilly, KFC vice president of national marketing.

Breakfast
3 Slices of Ham
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
Green Tea

Lunch: Russo's ($4.82)
Red leaf, red onion, red pepper
feta, broccoli, chicken, balsamic vinegar

Dinner:
Shrimp
1 Meatball
2 slices steak
broccoli
peppadews

Dessert
10 Green & Purple M&Ms
1 Weight Watchers bar

My dessert consumption continues on into this day, when I am both driven to eat a weight watchers chocolate pop without even reading the nutritional ingredients panel and additionally I ate some very fresh green and purple M&Ms that I got for a present for a departing coworker. They came from a M&M reseller, and I must say, though it sounds odd, that they tasted "fresher" than regular M&Ms, as if maybe they sat around for less time? Not sure what it was, but we ordered six pounds of the mix (our company's logo colors) and it was just too tempting to resist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The KFC bowl looks like something one of the aristocrats would have eaten, if you know what I mean (and I think that you do).

Lurleen