Sunday, July 02, 2006

Year 2, Day 123: Sundays with Utz

This morning I went for a workout and it was like a ghost town. No one anywhere; no one signed up for machines. No one breathing down my neck. Yet mysteriously, the TVs were turned to some kind of hellish NASCAR only channel. Not sure why I am forced to endure this, but it sure doesn't add much to the whole workout experience. All I can say is it's better than the other television in front of the treadmills that had Dick Cheney on some Sunday Morning show. Do people want to work out to Dick Cheney? I did five miles on the elliptical in 50 minutes, which was good because the first mile took me over 12 minutes and as usual, I didn't think I was going to make it the whole way. Without fail, when you hit the 40 minute mark, and for me also the 4 mile mark, things seem to get a lot easier. I always think about the optimal indicator of what time you should quit your workout. Is it when you hit your time, distance? Calories burned? Ultimately for me, it's when you run out of water.

Breakfast
2 Soft-Boiled Eggs
1 Large Slice of Balthazar Rye bread

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
2 Rye Vita Crackers

Lunch:
Hamburger
Pickles
Peppadews
Salad with Feta

Pool Snack
Peanut Butter & Celery
1/2 Boston Lite Popcorn
1 Cheese Stick

Dinner:
Salmon a la Emily
Cabbage

I just wanted to add another comment about the unfortunately named "Utz" Extra Dark Specials Pretzels. Note that three adjectives were needed to describe them. In my opinion, should be sought out whenever possible. I first found them in Connecticut where I went to camp, and they are available in New York and New Jersey, but I recently found them at Shaw's too. On their packaging they pose the question:

"Ever wanted to enjoy that dark kiln-fired flavor without the crusty bite of a hard pretzel? That's what make these...a classic— rich taste in a crackery, soft-bite pretzel."

That is just fantastic marketing. But what's on their Web site? (http://www.utzsnacks.com/transfat2.shtml) That's not so good..


"Our general food supply contains trace levels of elements and compounds that are generally considered toxic, but due to the level present, they do not have an adverse impact on our health. We need to be more concerned about the amounts that may be present at some significant level than their mere presence. The FDA requires us to label any macronutrient present at under 0.5g per serving as "0 gram" in the Nutrition Facts box portion of the label."

1 comment:

Mom said...

Very discouraging news about Utz as I too have discovered one of their products that is just great. Alas, who ever said whatever I love is illegal immoral, fattening or causes cancer...sadly had it right. Love, MOM