Sunday, July 16, 2006

Year 2, Day 137: The Triathalon

Today I did five miles on the elliptical, three laps in the pool and played a two sets of tennis. My biggest day ever. I played with Emily and we split sets— 7-5 and 6-2. Usually 5:30pm (when I seem often to play tennis) is not my best time but I did feel good today. The great thing about exercise is how incredibly tired it makes you at the end of the night. Again, a reason that a change of life can lead you to empty out your medicine cabinet. Except for the night before you have to go back to work after a week off. For that, you still need the medicine cabinet.

Breakfast
1 cup Kashi Go Lean
1 cup Heritage Flakes
1 cup Blueberries
1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk

Lunch
2 Eggs Over Easy
3 Strips jennie-o turkey bacon
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Various pre and post exercise snacks
1/2 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
1 Joy stick
2 Celery Sticks with Cream Cheese

Dinner: The Met
3 Oysters
1.5 Shrimp (Cocktail)
1 small slice pumpernickel
1/2 piece corn bread
1/2 crispy whole fish
4 bites of a 'snickers' bar ("Snickers" Ice cream Sandwich caramel ice cream, roasted salted peanuts, caramel sauce, peanut bark)

I ate big today, and I guess I knew it would be a big day of both exercise and eating. In the final analysis I think I blunted any weight loss, but I was satisfied at the end of the day that whether I lost weight or not, I feel better, look better, and at least on the tennis court perform better. Emily complemented me on my 'fleetness of foot' and that I was able to eat some dessert, which proved I wasn't a rigid fascist of a dieter, though likely I have added five more pounds this week, meaning it's time again for phase one-ing it. However, the Met Bar at Chestnut Hill was simply YUMMY with a capital 'Y'. I tried so hard to be good, but we arrived there fresh off the tennis court and we had to eat the bread. In our effort to eat healthy, we ordered the fish, but it was fried (and filled with tiny little bones). If you go there, don't order the Whole Crispy Fish, but the sauces were wonderful. We were thinking about dessert and we did look at the menu. The sound of the Snickers Bar sounded sobe friendly, but it was actually a glorified Carvel flying saucer (which is not bad), more than a Snickers bar.

1 comment:

Mom said...

The exercise part is so great. But the eating part is so hard...especially when facing such temptation. A weekend of birthday celebrating promises to provide its own series of tempting treats. I guess that means lots of tennis. Love, MOM