Sunday, July 09, 2006

Year 2, Day 130: Sunday Before Vacation

People who love traveling are different from me, and by extension, my family. I suppose I never really got that excited feeling about going somewhere and doing something other than being at your house. Growing up in Long Island it always seemed that the most exciting thing in the whole world was going to Manhattan, and that was just a 30 minute train ride away. You didn't even have to DO anything--just going there was exciting. I realize the world has a lot to offer but for me it's best encapsulated by Saul Steinberg's New Yorker cover known as "View of the World from Ninth Avenue" or what it's often called is the "New Yorker's View of the World" I always laugh because I thought what's wrong with that picture? For the reason that my home is what I love, packing and getting ready for a long spate away from home—at least at this time in my kid's lives—is more labor than the love.

Breakfast
2 and half Eggs
2 Slice Balthazar's Multi-Grain Bread
Tea

Snack
Coffee
2 Rye Vita Crackers
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch
Broiled Chicken Thighs
Peppadews
Pickles
Salad with Cabbage and Celery

Dinner: Skipjack's Takeout
"Skipjack's" Sole (with flour)
Salad
Snap Peas

Today I broke some kind of record, as I did five miles on the elliptical in under 47 minutes. This involved going over 7mph for a good bit of the time. Another first for me was that when I arrived at the rather deserted JCC gym room, I decided to take the television matter into my own hands and change the channel to the Wimbledon men's final. This was, for me, a totally engaging bit of programming that made the workout go by very fast, which is always what I am hoping will happen. The downside is that it was very difficult to keep a consistent pace going because I was so often slowing down or speeding up with the match. Lastly, I started to fret that the game would last longer than my water, but it was not to be because Nadal lost in the fourth set. A few hours later, I was back at the JCC and swam three more laps. I was hoping to best yesterday's showing, but it was not to be.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm very impressed with your exercise...it's really terrific. And watching Wimbledon makes it even better...although I would have liked to see it go five sets. Keep up the good work. And enjoy your vacation. Love, MOM