Friday, July 14, 2006

Year 2, Day 135: My 500th Day (Vacation Day Five)

Really today was an all out catastrophe as a dieter, but in another way a celebration of life. I had not made my pilgrimage to Balthazar yet, so I had to rely on Vermont Whole Wheat Bread from the supermarket at breakfast. It was pretty good, but it's all really just killing time till the Balthazar bread shows up. I played tennis with my brother-in-law today, and he walloped me in the first set, 6-1, but I was catching up with him in the second set, 3-3, when he retired due to an achy knee. The heat had been absolutely brutal and I couldn't fault him for quitting since he had a tournament the next day and he had volunteered to stay on the sunny side. Ordinarily it's customary to switch sides every two games, a tradition Emily and I often skip when we're playing. After about 90 minutes of muggy, shirt-sweating tennis, we jumped in the pool and it was about the most relaxing moment I had had the entire vacation. The water was warm, there weren't many people at the pool and we didn't have to be anywhere or do anything. Though we were situated on the top of a multi-unit urban complex, with planes overhead and landscape blotted in every direction with other tall buildings, it was a lovely, lovely moment.

Breakfast
2 Eggs plus 1 Yolk
2 Slices Wheat Bread (Non-Balthazar)
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Coffee

Lunch
Salad
Chicken Breast
Peppadews

Pre & Post Tennis Snack
Multi-Grain Tostitos
Cheddar Cheese
6 Utz Pretzels

Dinner
Sashimi
Farmer's Salad (Cucumbers, Scallions, Tomatoes, Olives)

Dessert
4 Tablespoons Killer Chocolate Ice cream, 1 Raspberry sorbet, 1 Vanilla

For my 500th day on the South Beach diet I definitely worked hard on the court, and in the pool (only swam two laps, but they were longer than usual because it was not strictly roped off and olympic length). Ordinarily ice cream for dessert doesn't beckon me but tonight it did and I answer its siren call with a gaping mouth. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did it partly because of the anniversary (500 days), partly because it had been a long week of vacationing, partly because it was Ruby's birthday but mostly because it was there and I wanted it. And it was Jane's Ice Cream, so how can you go wrong?

1 comment:

Mom said...

I can't fault your reasoning. As I have commented before...there are just some great food moments shared with family and friends.....it's getting back to busines that's so hard. Looking forward to the birthdays! Love, MOM