Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Year 2, Day 146: Dinner in Charlotte, NC

Today was a big day. Lots of stuff to do before I get on a plane, more than most, because I am infrequent traveler, and professional neurotic worrier. I also fret about whether or not to take my laptop, because it's very often an extremely heavy paperweight. Is there anything that really couldn't be accomplished with a legal pad? After all, I'm going to a corporate office, not some remote part of Siberia. As usual I end up overpacking, but it helps focus my attention away from the concern that I am going to perish in flight, with only a handful of cheap pretzels and half a soda at my disposal. Of course, this prompts me to ask 'why do they give you a flotation device under every seat but not a parachute?' Have we just given up on the thought that anyone could survive from a falling plane? Am I statistically more likely to survive on a plane-seat-pillow? I hope I never have to make this choice, but I am almost certain that I would rather jump than try to swim once the plane has crashed. Aside from the neurosis, doesn't this make sense?

Breakfast
1 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean/Heritage Flake
1 Cup Strawberries
1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk

Snack
12 oz. coffee (half decaf)
1 joystick

Lunch: Russo's $6.10
Red leaf, red onion, red onion
feta, broccoli, balsamic, tuna (no chicken today).

Dinner: Mac's BBQ in Charlotte, NC
1 Hush Puppy with Honey-Butter
2 Chicken Wings
1 Deviled Egg
Brisket
Ribs
Pulled Pork
Green Bean Salad
Cole Slaw
Baked Beans

Tastes of Dessert
Banana Pudding (with Nilla Wafers)
Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream

Tonight we went to a place called "Macs" in Charlotte. Despite its name, it has nothing to do with Apple computers and everything to do with motorcycles and barbecue food. We went here because I continued to tell my hosts that I would no longer be coming down to North Carolina, the home of the famous vinegary pulled pork unless I was to be taken to an official sawdust-on-the-floor, sweet-tea serving bbq joint. After much deliberation, Macs was chosen, though I think only after a much better restaurant, though apparently thought to be in a dangerous area (though this was never said or confirmed), was rejected. Even with the SoBe book in tow, I fell victim to 'hush puppies'—which to me where either Buster Brown shoes, or hot dogs wrapped in corn meal and put on a stick. These were corn meal fried into balls and served with honey-butter. What I love about the South, from what I was able to observe, was their absolute commitment to making anything healthy unhealthy, and making any unhealthy (like deep fried-corn meal) REALLY unhealthy, like slathering it not just with butter, but HONEY-butter. I can really get with that program. I promise you, a week down here and I would be back to 226 lbs, easily.

No comments: