Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Year 2, Day 125: Independence Day

Though the world was clamoring* for our participation in countless parades, fireworks displays and backyard barbecues, we only wanted as a family to stay at home and relax. I'm not exactly sure when my disdain for large-scale spectacles began, but it's for sure that Emily's even-greater disdain for such events has created a family unit that generally avoids those things like a bout of stomach flu. If you are long time reader with a good memory, you'll remember that I've often noted with a wince-laden despair when my neighbors can be observed packing up their families and cars for such events, whether it's 4th of July, Patriot's Day or what have you. Maybe I'll feel differently if my kids get older and want to go to such things. Especially when they're old enough to go without me.
(*actually, no one was clamoring, this is just a figure of speech.)

Breakfast
1 egg
3 slices ham
1 oz cheddar/monterey jack shreds
1 Joseph's Oat Bran Tortilla
1 Tablespoon Salsa
Coffee

Lunch
Salad of Romaine Lettuce, Feta, 6 oz. Tuna and Cabbage
2 Dark Rye Vita cracker with 1 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Coke Zero

Movie Snack
Popcorn
1 Reeses Bite

Dinner
Steak Tips
Broccoli
Peppadews

Dessert
One Nip

Ruby and I went to see "Cars," because the pool, which she desperately wanted to go to, was out due to rain. Despite my love of Pixar, I thought this one was a dud from the preview. Talking cars? Really, how can you get warm and fuzzy about that? If it weren't for the Reese's Bites the movie would have been intolerable. As it was, I had to dole out three about every five minutes. As if that wasn't enough, I noted with some pique that AMC showed a card that said "Silence is Golden®" before the movie. Can they really register that? Who allowed that? I did some searching on the Internet (do you know about this Internets thing?) and found this:

"AMC's Silence Is Golden® “Silence is Golden” is AMC’s proactive national program aimed at providing a distraction-free moviegoing experience. A pre-feature trailer asks our guests to please not “spoil the movie by adding your own soundtrack.” AMC has created other entertaining trailers to express this important message. The program has received overwhelmingly positive response from guests."

Jeez. And I thought it was bad when the rights to "Happy Birthday" were sold.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sorry to hear about CARS although I admit it's not a film I planned to see. We were never ones for the big crowd activities...which is why sitting on Al's porch with Noah and Sophie was my idea of a fine way to watch fireworks. Love, MOM