Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Year 2, Day 132, Vacation Day Two

The good news is that we were not killed by Dick and Perry of "In Cold Blood" last night. Yes, that's a Woody Allen bit of shtick but he was right on the money. There are some folk who love the country. That's just not me. However, if I've learned anything through these past nearly 500 days, it's that I have the capacity to change. I used to be someone who didn't like to walk, or to exert myself. Who knows, maybe in the future I'll love the country. But my father once said to me, "When you move out of the city to be away from it all, your choice is really the ocean or the mountains." He always favored the ocean, but Eastern Long Island was not working for him, so he went to the mountains. Eastern Long Island didn't work for me either, but the mountains aren't really giving it a run for its money. I liked the Vineyard (and Truro, Wellfleet and Provincetown) when I spent time there. I like when you get lost you eventually hit the ocean. I like the flatlands. I like it where you can make cell phone calls. Am I wrong to want providers to ruin our natural and wondrous landscapes so I can make cell phone calls?

Breakfast
A few small slices of multi-grain bread
nearly two soft-boiled eggs
2 oz 50% jalapeno cheddar
Green tea

Snack
3 handfuls of almonds/cashews


Lunch
Hamburger with Onion
Salad with Balsamic Vinegar
4 oz. Cheddar Cheese
Whitefish pieces
A few peppadews


Dinner
Ribs
Chicken
Pulled Pork
More of Same Salad
Baked Beans

Dessert
1 Bite of "No Sugar Added" Edy's Fudge Tracks Ice Cream

It was a funny kind of an eating day. I had originally planned to play tennis with my sister-in-law at around 11AM, but she ended up playing with Emily for longer than planned. I had been holding off on lunch, but I needed to make lunch for the kids. Naturally, they didn't eat it (or not too much of it) so I ate a lot of their hamburger with an incredible salad that Emily's sister made— it had lettuce, mint, cabbage, red peppers in it. Plus, she discovered a balsamic vinegar that is super yummy (with 2g of sugars in it) but so worth it. When they got home from tennis at around 1:00pm we all had lunch so I had more salad and more cheese. Then, I was waiting to play my brother-in-law so I wasn't eating any snacks; but I did eat a lot cheese waiting for him (and nuts). We played two sets at 5:00pm, and we finished at around 6:42pm. He took both games 6-1, 6-0. From the sounds of it, you probably think I'm not a very good tennis player, and I can't deny that, but we all had fun. When I got back I was famished and we devoured a whole bunch of pretty good barbecue.

I had a bite of ice cream that had been left here by the 'rental-owners.' It was pretty good for Sugar-free ice cream, and significantly lower in fat/calories/sugars then the other sugary ice-creams that were left here.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds like you are really having a good time...and there is some extra exercise to balance some uneven eating. Enjoy! Love, MOM

Don in CA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.