Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Day 353: Wednesday

Went for a walk today, trying to take advantage of the 40 degree weather. Though it was just me and another Domaniac (and we are the slowest) it actually was quite a workout because the Charles River path was UNclear that it required a constant high-stepping and, well...hiking. We were both sweating by the end of it, which is always a good sign.

Breakfast
1 Slice Balthazar Rye Bread
4 Slices of Ham
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Snack
12 oz. Coffee (Half Decaf)
1 Small Granny Smith Apple

Lunch: Christos
Greek Salad with Chicken
Feta, Oil & Vinegar

Dinner
Emily's Thai Fusion Chicken
and Pea Tendrils
A Bit of Rob's Red Beans
2 Bites of a Healthy Choice Chok'lit pop

It's been really amazing to me that I have not been hungry during the second snack period of the day. This has traditionally been the time, for as long as I can remember, that I would be drinking caffeinated beverages or eating chocolate candy. During periods where I was trying to be 'good' (all dieters refer to periods where they were or are 'trying to be good') I would eat Boston Lite Popcorn or Pretzels (which we all now is a joke). But I would always, always, be eating between 2pm and 6pm.
During my heaviest periods, I would often eat so much during that period that I was not hungry for dinner when I got home, which viewed in retrospect, is kind of sad. Even sadder is that I would often eat when I got home, even if not hungry. A friend of Emily's used to say "when you smell and see the food, you get hungry," and that's the truth.

So for most of the days this week (yesterday being an exception) I have not had a second snack. It's good in general because it also means that I am nearly nut-free, which is good, because any good diet calls for variety, and when you're on a nut-a-thon, it's really hard to break the rut.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Happy to see you breaking the "nut rut" :)

Mom said...

I second the emotion. Changing off on foods is a great idea. I hope I get up to your place before the rain tomorrow. We'll see about the traffic. Can't wait to see you all. Love, MOM