Thursday, February 02, 2006

Day 339: Detecto Says "193"

Though it's only been two weeks (or so) since my last weigh in, I wanted to keep on a regular first-of-the-month weigh-in. I must confess to you: I don't like getting on the scale any more than you do. But I feel I must do it because I have a goal (to get to 186 lbs) and it's the only way I can know whether I'm progressing or not. Sure, it helps to throw out pants. Sure it's good to have to dispose of belts. But a life-change is about the numbers: carbs, grams of fats, calories and weight in pounds. I actually went to the doctor regarding an arm-tingling I've been having. I think it's a pinched nerve. Anyway, by the time I got weighed in it was 4:00pm, I was wearing my jeans, and I had just had my yogurt. Not only that, but I had just come from a weekend of Shiva-sitting, so I was pretty happy with 193.

Breakfast
1 Slice of Multi-Grain Balthazar Bread
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Light Cheddar
Tea

Snack-um
20 Almonds
1 Cheese Stick
Coffee (half decaf)
6 oz. Plain Yogurt
Peanut Butter
1/4 Kashi Go Lean Cereal

Lunch: Russo's Salad
Red Leaf, Red Onions, Red Peppers
Chicken, Feta
Onions, Artichokes, Squash, Olives
Oil & Balsamic Vinegar

Dinner
Chicken Breast
Broccoli
Pickles
(a few bites of Ruby's cheeseburger)

The Salad Bar continues to be a place where numbers count. The bar at Russo's is $3.99/lb. So I figure that a pound and half of salad ($5.50) is about the right amount, even though you might think that sounds like an enormous amount of salad. Certainly it's possible to create a calorie rich, unhealthy salad, if you load it up with bad fats and fried things, and that heap on creamy dressings. But if you keep your ingredients on the wholesome side, you should be able to eat a lot of salad. Lately, I had been going over $6.00. Naturally I was starting to get worried—"Am I bingeing at lunch?" You don't want to pull a muscle carrying your salad. Today my salad weighed in at $4.34—a new 'low' record. It actually was quite satisfying. I made a conscious effort to take less things, as taking 'seconds' is always the hardest thing for me to resist. Incidentally, the same salad at Whole Foods would have cost $13.00, but it would have been organic.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Good for you. The pounds are coming off especially getting weighed in the afternoon....you are probably even lower. You look great. And thanks for getting me on to Balthhzar. It's great! Love, MOM