Friday, February 03, 2006

Day 341: Poker Game


As long time readers know, the day of a poker game is a day to be very cautious with the calories. Though I was quite irresponsible in the old days, I did get to a point where I was only having a plain chicken caesar salad for dinner with no dressing—though it was small consolation given that I was also drinking a beer, a coke, sweet and crunchy nuts, funyuns, fritos, bonbell cheeses, doritos 3-Ds, chili cheese fries and yes, the occasional choco taco. Even back then I started to have salad for lunch too, as if somewhere in that thick head of mine (made thick from obviously being layered with white sugar and flour) I knew that I was this close (holds thumb and forefinger less than half an inch away from each other) from that first heart attack. These days, I am still eating the salad on poker day. Also, I try to avoid any nuts as a concession to eating more than the alloted amount later in the evening. I'm also allowing that a fair amount of calories come after 7:30, which according to Oprah and everyone who knows anything about anything is a no-no.

Breakfast
1 Large Slice, Balthazar Bread
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
2 slices of ham
Tea

Snack:
1 Braeburn Apple
6 oz. Plain Yogurt
1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean
2 Tbsps Peanut Butter

Lunch: Russo's Salad
Red Leaf, Red Onions, Red Peppers
Chicken, Feta
Onions, Artichokes, Squash, Olives
Oil & Balsamic Vinegar

Poker Snack:
Olives
Cashews/Almonds
1 Cup Spoiled Popcorn

Dinner: Mandarin Taste

Boneless Spareribs
Szechwan Beef
Chicken with Broccoli
Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Lots of Chinese food tonight, though since I got to order it, I made sure this was little that was SoBe friendly. I had to give up on the appetizers, because everybody wanted fried things, even though everyone acknowledged that they didn't need them. they did go fast, so at least people were being honest. It is hard to eat Chinese food without rice, but somethings you just have to accept. I bought a bag of Boston Lite popcorn but it had 'turned'—though I ate it anyway, desperate as I was for a salty snack. I also had the tiniest crumb of piece of cheesecake I got for my brother as a special birthday dessert. Naturally, there was also pie.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It is fun to remember the things you used to eat....even as they surprise you now. Glad you had a good poker game to celebrate David's 45. Sorry you didn't feel well after. The pop corn? Love, MOM