Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Day 345: 20 Days To One

Gamely shuffling my way to work, I can only hope that my illness does, in fact, help me shed a few pounds. I realize that even if it were not for the weight loss, this year was about bringing me to a healthy state. To vanquish most fear and anxiety, to have more energy, to feel that, in the words of Sammy Davis, Jr. "Yes I Can" (If Frank Sinatra says its OK)*. Though I am not yet at my goal state, I know that I can get there when I'm ready to put my foot on the petal. Today was about getting back to normal. I was a little less hungry during the morning, leading me to hope that I will always be not that hungry. I remain above all, a foolish optimist.

Breakfast
1 Large Slice of Balthazar Rye
5 Very thin slices of Virginia Ham
Tea

Snack
Tea
6 oz. Vanilla Yogurt
1 Braeburn Apple

Lunch
Three Poached Eggs
1 Slice Wheat (but probably not real Wheat) Toast
1 Ham Steak
A few potato crisps

Dinner
Tilapia a la Em
Sauteed Onions

Still not back at speed, I allow myself both a vanilla yogurt (twice the carbs of plain yogurt) and an apple. I skipped the honey in my tea and privately nurse the concern that I will become addicted to sugar. I also allowed myself the tiny crispy parts of a potato side dish (that I didn't order) but came with my poached eggs. If the eggs had been harder cooked, I could have skipped the toast, but their condition necessitated me eating the toast. Definitely not REAL wheat toast, you can just tell, when it tastes like wonder bread. For years I thought I was doing myself a solid by ordering wheat toast at diners and restaurants, but for the most part what they serve is 'shambolic.'**

* paranthetical quote from "This is Spinal Tap."
** Simon Cowell, American Idol.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hurray for you! You've done such a great job this year.....but it does sound like your stomach is not quite up to speed yet. Hope you're feeling your best soon. Love, MOM

Caitlin said...

glad you're feeling better...I'm excited for your anniversary :)