Sunday, May 29, 2005

Day 91: Gym Daze

I was able to get to the gym today, and I did note a few things that bear describing. One, a woman dressed in total street clothes, including a floral print blouse and black jeans and sunglasses walking for an hour on the treadmill. Two, people reading magazines on their recumbent bikes. Three, an old man with a big belly, walking VERY slowly into the gym with what looked like a second-generation sony Walkman (circa 1980). I noted a few things that I am still having difficulty with at the gym:

1. Making sure the iPod earphones are not in a birds-nest tangle. I spent the first three minutes of my workout just trying to get enough length so I wasn't hunching over the machine. A few times I really had to concentrate so I didn't fall down and interrupt the machine's timekeeping.

2. Bringing/keeping the right things to the gym. I got the keys, water, iPod, gum, wallet, gym pass, sweatshirt, towel, there's a lot going on. You're supposed to put stuff on the shelf as you come in. But I'm from NY— I can't do that. I throw it behind the exercise machine. This is frowned on. Also, bringing the right TYPE of towel is key. You can't just bring a beach towel, no, it has to be just the right size.

3. Replacing the towel. About halfway through (and sooner, some days) I need to wipe my face and head. This requires picking up the towel, wiping, then replacing it. I have about a 40% success rate. Often, I am JUST BARELY getting it so it stays. Today it dropped twice. Each time the machine said "workout suspended." I glared at it, disbelievingly, to no effect whatsoever.

Today for the first time I did the stairstepper-thing (you can see it at http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/91x). I see people on it all the time, but today was the first time I had the guts to get out of the cheap seats and try something different. I'll tell you I was sweating like crazy within a few minutes. People on either side of me had the red EKG readouts looking like Mt. Washington, mine was a flat-line. So sad. But I did 32:00 minutes (the posted limit is 30 minutes, another reason I am bound to be exiled) then walked six times around the track (that's a quarter mile). I had done 2.25 miles on the cardio thing, so overall I thought I did quite well. I am almost starting to think that I COULD, as someone once noted, exercise enough to make eating pizza guilt-free a reality.

Breakfast
Two Eggs Over
2 Strips Turkey Bacon (J.O. natch)
Tea

Snack
1/2 Cup Unsalted Mixed Nuts
2 Cheese Sticks
Ass't Fruit (a few grapes, a few raspberries, 1 strawberry)
1 Granny Smith Apple

Lunch
Greek Salad with Tuna, Feta, Vidalia Onions

Dinner
Shrimp Cocktail,
Romaine Lettuce
3 Small Bites (made for Ruby) cheeseburger

So it was a weird eating day. Emily wanted me to get Mag at 9:30 which is earlier than usual—I was just sitting down to my eggs. I got the baby and then decided to take all the kids to Allendale farm to buy some berries (and a cookie the size of Ruby's head). When I returned, I twice tried to make oatmeal and failed (this is akin to my flipping-the-egg problem, but I will write more about that later). Then, Mag needed a nap, so I eschewed a third attempt and ran over to the gym, shoving a few nuts, a cheesestick and some fruit in my mouth on the way over. When I got back I had a salad, and we saw a friend of Emily's in the afternoon. On the way back we stopped at the market and I wanted to get catfish but they only had a little, so I thought I'd add some shrimp to fill. But on our return home there was chaos-lite so I just whipped out the shrimp cocktail and emily and I ate what we could. And that turned out to be dinner. So it was a weird eating day. But it was a great gym day. We also got the "jogging stroller" —so that might open up a whole new world for me and Magnolia. I must remember to join the tennis league for over 40s, too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed with your adventures at the gym. Soon you're going to be a real pro....I'm so glad. I even started back on my treadmill this morning...see what you have accomplished! Keep up the great work...I keep telling you it's not only great for you, it's an inspiration for everyone who knows you and those who read this blog. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

hey rob. good to be back among the reading and writing. yes, i have a special set of gym towels that wound up in my gym bag after playing at the nevele, one week after the next. even tho they have a blue stripe down the middle they fit the bill perfectly. it hangs down around my next for the mid to end workout when the sweat is dripping so much it needs to be absorbed by just the right towel.
i am so happy to be swapping gym stories. and have you seen the young raphael nadal? i dont think i have seen anyone in men's tennis with muscles like his. am i right barbara? not that i think they are cute, but they do work wonders for hitting a hell of a tennis ball. i think he can beat federer in the final.