Thursday, May 19, 2005

81- You Can Bench Press? I can withstand Sheet Cake

There are days when you are tested and found wanting. And then there are days like today. I must say that the day started inauspiciously as I broke the yolk on the EXIT of the pan (meaning I had already done the flip once) and the eggs, for the first time ever, were slightly undercooked. But on the big plus side, we had a sheet cake at work to celebrate the launch of a new design of our company web site and I resisted. Sure, that's no big deal, I've resisted dessert plenty of times, and nearly every night at my house someone's eating something delicious. But this sheet cake was big. It had been freshly baked today; and I know just velvety and creamy it was. My vicarious thrill was in the cutting and handing out of pieces to the staff. When everyone was done, I cut it up and put some pieces in the freezer and some in the fridge. The rest went home with people (including two pieces for Ruby and Emily). Some of the staff were justifiably surprised that I was not having any—even a teeny bit. It has been a tradition to have sheet cake to commemorate special events, and I don't feel like changing that because I won't eat any. And I think the size was offputting—it was the full, double-wide sheet cake, but that's really the only size you can get. The alternative (the 8" round) is too small. I was amazed to know that with all the touching of the sheet cake, I never put even a crumb in my mouth. And it was never for lack of wanting. It was just that being in control, and getting to my goal weight is more important than a sheet cake, which I know will be there for me any time I want it in the future. THAT is what me feel like I graduated today; Much of my previous over-indulgence had to do with a carpe diem re: food. If we don't eat this now, we'll never get to. After 30 years of that, I think I'm ready to relax and say "no", occasionally.

Breakfast
Two Eggs, Over Not That Easy
2 Strips Turkey Bacon
Tea

Lunch
Shrimp Caesar Salad

Snack
Granny Smith Apple
1/4 Cup Unsalted Nut Mix
6 oz. Yogurt
1 Cheese Stick

Dinner
Brisket
Red Pepper & Cucumber Salad
Peppedew Peppers

Today I broke my two-day cheese stick embargo, but it was because Emily and I were rushing to a parent-teacher conference, and when I got home I knew I wouldn't get a chance to eat until late and I didn't want to collapse in hunger while discussing Ruby with her teacher. As it turned out, it was for NEXT THURSDAY so all our efforts, including the babysitter, were in vain. We went to Zathmary's (a gourmet takeout place) nearby and had dinner. I have started to think about tomorrow night's poker game, and how I can really reign it in. I will keep thinking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, What a triumph. Wonderful! Keep up the good work. Don't let the game get you down. May the force be with you! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I say how lovely it is that you are encouraging him Mom.

I hope you are exercising. I found that it really affects metabolism- especially after you get used to it and exercise more, which is one month. If you just stick to something for one month, it magically can get better

Stick in there

Anonymous said...

Hi Obbie,
Congrats from the Great State of Ohio. Sheet cake always looks really luscious and creamy but I've found it usually sucks. Just not a good cake at all, unless it's homemade Texas Sheet Cake. You might want to check with Dr. Sobe and see if the fried onions are too sugary. I dimly remember something about that from me Weight Watchers days. Want to go see Bruce Springsteen with me? Emily said we could.

xoxo
Lurleen

Anonymous said...

are not all sheet cakes in fact box cakes. i do believe they are never made from scratch.