Friday, January 26, 2007

Year 2, Day 329: Poker Nite 2007

Poker Day again and I am not able to go for a walk because of the frigid cold wave that has hit Boston. Tonight is slated to be in the single digits. So aside from not getting in my physical movement I have to be on the lookout for eating too much today because I am always consuming extra calories at the poker table. Naturally, I must do all I can to avoid nuts of any kind, since they make up the primary slice of caloric intake. Because I know we're going to have deli and eat popcorn, I must also ensure that I don't eat those, if not for diet than for variety's sake. I do sometimes long for the days when I would just eat anything, but even at my heaviest, I still would watch it on poker night. So though I probably don't need the level of special care (except where nuts are concerned), I still keep the proverbial night light on as I walk through the shadow of the valley of the card game's edible offerings.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Ikea Muesli
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Lunch: Tantawan
Salad
Tan Yan (Shrimp and Mushrooms in Spicy Chicken Broth)
Beef Salad
Chicken Red Curry

Snack
1 Fuji Apple
3 Beef Jerky Sticks

Poker/Dinner
~3 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
Pistachios
Almonds/Cashews
4 Roll Mops (Turkey, Roast Beef, Corned Beef, Swiss)
Pickles
Peppadews
Cole Slaw

I always think I'm saving my calories but I rarely spend them on anything but volume. I sometimes tell myself that 'I'm going to have dessert' or 'I'm going to have some bread' but I never do. I do eat a greater quantity of foods on poker night, and so I never feel that urge to 'reward myself' or 'give myself a treat' like I used to. Then people ask me "Are you going to have a..." (drink, roll, dessert) and I say "no." What I have come to understand fully now about my body chemistry (and I suspect most peoples) is that it is not just the thing you eat with its carbs and calories, but the fact that those things with lots of both make you hungrier than if you ate other stuff that was full of fiber, fat or protein, which satisfy you. I know the talented can mix it up, and the genetically lucky don't have to, but for me I am really best to skip most of that stuff.

No comments: