Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Year 2, Day 312 Tuesdays with Orville

In a slow news week, there were some significant changes over at Russo's, but only for those who follow closely what I eat every week. I have definitively gone off red leaf, and on to romaine. I realize that's heresy for some people, especially the red and green leaf people who think romaine has no taste. It's not entirely true—it's sort of like the statement that water has no taste. But in fact Dasani and Aquifina taste different than Poland Spring water. Strange, but true. Romaine is a good sturdy lettuce and so far it weighs less more frequently and has more crunch per bite. For all of these reasons and some too mundane too mention, I have switched. In other Russo's news, they have added broccoli slaw, which I love and does not weigh much. Unfortunately, it's at the end, so you have to kind of pile it on. I'm working on it.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Ikea Muesli
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Lunch: Russo's ($5.29)
Romaine, red pepper, red onion, feta
chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, broccoli slaw
balsamic vinegar, pepperocini

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
4 Beef Jerky STicks
~1 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn
1 stick 3/4 oz 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar
~4 cups Orville Redinbacher Microwave Popcorn

Dinner
Steak
Cauliflower
Three Bean Salad

I was pretty hungry today and I only the left over bits of a large bag of popcorn that I took into the office from my car, of all things. There wasn't much in it, so I felt compelled by the need for more popcorn to make some of the microwave popcorn we had just recently acquired at Costco. Naturally, the smell of popcorn lured all of my office mates to me, and I thanked them for taking it away from me before I could finish the entire popped bag. The Orville Redinbacher popcorn wins the award for most confusing nutrition label. They give calories only for 'unpopped tablespoons' from which it is not clear how many of said measurements are in the bag. A few of my coworkers attempted to help me unravel the mystery, but it continued to be a puzzle. For that reason alone I suggest you avoid it, even though it was yummy.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Pop corn remains a satisfying low calorie treat...its the butter and salt that give one pause. I have always liked Romaine lettuce the best....so welcome aboard. Love, MOM