Thursday, August 18, 2005

172: One Great Salad

Days without Contact From Gary: 12

There is not much to say as we get closer to the 'dog days' of summer and I get ever nearer to my vacation. Today the Domania gang joined me on our trip to Costco, where it became obvious that I wasn't doing a lot of shopping for myself. But I feel that's the transition I've made at work, at poker, at home, on the road, I'm bringing my own snacks, my own food. It's really the only way I can stay on top of what I'm eating. If you are a long time reader you can tell that I have a hard enough time just keeping on top of the diet already. I have obviously plateaued, and I need to find a way to get past it. After I get back from the vineyard. I did have the displeasure to see a picture of myself from just a few years ago. It wasn't that good. It's good that I'm charming.


Breakfast
1 6 oz blueberry yogurt Yoplait "lite"
1 cup blueberries/strawberries
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
Tea

Snack
1.2 oz 50% lite jalapeno cheddar
1 dragon stick
60 pistachios
1 braeburn apple

lunch (Dominic's-http://www.foodadventures.org/restaurants/dominics.html)
Mesclun Greens with Balsamic
Italian Tuna
Goat Cheese

Dinner
Some left-over brisket
1 Really awful roll-mop: Roast beef, turkey, jalapeno cheese & pickle
peppadews
Greek Salad

Today I had a really great salad from Dominic's in Waltham. Of course, it's ridiculous to recommend that you get one there, because they really have the most incredible bread and sandwiches I've had, so if you went there why would you skip the best thing and get a salad? But it just goes to show that it is possible to make a great one. It couldn't have been simpler— mesclun greens, balsamic, tuna, goat cheese. It was perfect. The greens were crunchy and tasty; the goat cheese creamy, the tuna velvety but not fishy. I was only sorry that I had to dishonor the artisan quality of the salad by horking it down fast like I was a college kid doing tequila shots. But that's what happens when you don't eat lunch till 1:50pm. When I got home I made a salad that was just a lot of stuff in a bowl, and one absolutely horrible rollmop. I must stick to ham—all other deli meats are just grossing me out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are and have always been charming! Ala, it is the salad days of summer. I'm glad that you're going to have some vacation as you sound a bit weary. Looking forward to seeing you all when you get back. Love, MOM