Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Day 36: Getting Past a Plateau

Again, an amazingly prophecy-like email from the folks at South Beach:

"It is not uncommon to reach a plateau in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, especially as you get closer to your target weight. If your weight loss has stalled, here are three strategies for getting back on track:
1. Try eating different foods. Sometimes dieters get into a food rut, eating the same things day in and out. Change your diet and you may start losing weight again.
2. Get adequate exercise. Plateauing may result from losing too much muscle mass (as well as fat). Maintaining muscle mass with exercise helps burn calories and boost metabolism.
3. Return to Phase 1. If you have plateaued for several weeks and still have a fair amount of weight to lose, return to Phase 1 for a kick-start.

Breakfast
1 Cup Uncle Sam cereal
1 Cup Strawberries
3/4 Cup No Fat Milk

Lunch
3 Roll Mops
1 Heart of Palm
1 Head Romaine
Banana Peppers

Snack
2 Cheese Sticks
30 Pistachios
15 Cashews

Dinner
Sirloin Tips
Broccoli


I am trying to do all three things on the above list. Today I ate a bowl of Uncle Sam, which for those who don't know, is a combination of wood chips and pencil shavings. Very high in fiber. I attempted to bring yogurt as a snack, but accidentally left it on the counter. I will try to mix up the snacks, but celery can't stay all day on my desk like nuts can. I am getting more exercise, and noticed today, while playing with Ruby that I was able to sustain a longer amount of play with her and I did not get out of breath in 10 seconds when on the see-saw toy. I am hoping to get in a walk tomorrow, and who knows, I may even be ready for swimming when the pool opens in May. Yeeahaha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the SB Diet Book says it all. But that ability to play with Ruby is really great....so keep up the good work. Love, MOM